What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this D. scorpioides gemmae & should I force them off if they don't want to come?

• Thread starter Odysseus
  • Start date
Is this D. scorpioides gemmae & should I force them off if they don't want to come?

Hey those of you familiar with gemmae ON the parent plant! Thanks for checking in!

I got a Drosera scorpioides and it must have struggled too much in the shipping or already gone dormant but it looks pretty poor. Hasn't woken up at all since I got it and the top looks almost like gemmae started to form and possibly fully formed.

I couldn't tease any of them off and would need to pull them off but I don't want to do that without someone in the know giving me the go ahead.

What do you think? Stressed plant, went dormant maybe even dying? If these are gemmae are they going to need more time to get them to crown out of the white hairs like I see in online images or good to take off now with force?

scorpiodesGemmae2_zpsgnswbpql.jpg

scorpiodesGemmae_zpsi4qztv43.jpg

I would keep waiting and only forcible remove them if you see them starting to change color like they're dying. I was just yesterday showing my kids how they fly off with the slightest touch, these are what was left that didn't want to come off yet...the whole top was gemmae and the leaves are well down the plant with none even sticky at this point, where yours still has some.
Andrew
6a7b2e416a2a28e3cf08176e87c5332e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Those are a bit premature to remove. The gemmae should be looking very full and come off easily. It is also normal for them to look kind of bad while producing gemmae, I wouldn't worry too much.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys! :D Without leaf growth and dew it is hard to tell the plant is adjusting to its new setting.

I will definitely wait for it to push out more and wait on the gemmae being ready to go. thanks!

Wow! I received a REALLY great surprise two days ago! I casually look at my month long stagnant Drosera scorpioides and am completely shocked to find out that it is growing new leaves! When I get a chance to capture an image the next day I find that the leaves are growing VERY fast and I am excited to feed them under timelapse tomorrow morning! (I am currently running a timelapse on a very beautiful pair of Drosera spatulata flower stalks. :D)

So those were or were not gemmae...at least the middle of them continued to be a growth point and I only wish I had better images of it to share. I will soon. :D

Drosera_scopioides_Surprise.jpg

Drosera_scorpioides_surprise2.jpg

Woohoo! :boogie::boogie:

active sundews > dormant sundews every time LOL glad they waking up from their slumber

Amen! I love the D. scorpioides and so I am so stoked to see it again! :D

Those are, and still are, gemmae which at this point should be removed; the plant has begun developing typical leaves again from the center meristem which is what is supposed to happen once gemmae production is over.

Those are, and still are, gemmae which at this point should be removed; the plant has begun developing typical leaves again from the center meristem which is what is supposed to happen once gemmae production is over.

Right on! I am MORE than happy to add a few more gemmae plants to this pot! The only shame is that this pot is a short one. With how pygmy drosera like to have long roots and I would imagine especially the larger D. scorpioides, I should pot up the gemmae in something longer.

Last edited:
The gemmae came off today with a little pull back away from the plant and they flew off like popping popcorn kernels!

I was able to get 8 gemmae off the plant and they look to be in great shape and I am very confident I will have 8 more D. scorpioides growing in my collection and will have a nice amount of gemmae this fall! :D

Thanks again to all that helped me in this thread! Especially you [MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION]!

If you leave the gemmae in place they just die on the vine, as it were, and the plant grows normally. After all there is no one in the wild that comes along to remove left overs other than the rain.

If you leave the gemmae in place they just die on the vine, as it were, and the plant grows normally. After all there is no one in the wild that comes along to remove left overs other than the rain.

haha true that! I am curious if we have footage anywhere of gemmae distribution happening in nature. Could be a neat thing to put on my videography bucket list. :D

Perhaps, but according to Lowrie's accounts plants whose gemmae have not all been removed can be at risk of rot when the gemmae die and begin to decompose.

Back