User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  5
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humic Acid Buildup or Strong Light Burn?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish all problems were as easy to resolve as this one! They look pristine once again

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep an eye on the problem to make sure it doesn't come back! I've found that the problem is sometimes periodic, coming and going seemingly at random. Some species don't seem too bothered by it while others get hit hard. Most of the time I end up repotting to solve the problem as it (at least for me) usually seems to be caused by bad peat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthesl0ve View Post
    I wish all problems were as easy to resolve as this one! They look pristine once again
    I know right!? haha thank goodness! I thought leaves were damaged and yet nothing is wrong at all except for the leaves I let GROW with the stuff on them. They are deformed a bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Just keep an eye on the problem to make sure it doesn't come back! I've found that the problem is sometimes periodic, coming and going seemingly at random. Some species don't seem too bothered by it while others get hit hard. Most of the time I end up repotting to solve the problem as it (at least for me) usually seems to be caused by bad peat.
    Yeah exactly my plan! I kind of expect this to come back at least once or twice. I am going to write up a blog post about the whole process so it is out there and I can share what you guys taught me and I learned from this. So I want to see how much if it all the issue comes back. Also, I am curious about my peat and I am going to go look over the entire bale and see if SOMEWHERE in small writing it mentions the "benefit" of humic acid in there. It's already hard enough to get Peat without Miracle Gro extras in it now I have to worry about the plain peat packages having Humic Acid?

Thanks again, Nimbulan for your help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a video of me cleaning the plants for anyone interested in seeing how easy it was! https://youtu.be/QHtT-WbSiPI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s caused by evil spirits! See, baptizing cures!

Humic Acid results from the peat decomposing. One sundew, my creation, the fertile D. x obovata ‘Ivan’s Paddle’ is immune.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSnyder View Post
    It’s caused by evil spirits! See, baptizing cures!
    Hahahaha it is time these plants saw the light!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSnyder View Post
    Humic Acid results from the peat decomposing. One sundew, my creation, the fertile D. x obovata ‘Ivan’s Paddle’ is immune.
    Interesting...so it is safe to say that my Peat may NOT have extra humic acid in it but overtime developed it.

The process of rinsing your soil mediums before using it is something I half heartedly did but will be VERY intense about now. I would soak my medium and squeeze it out and then use it. After only one step of rinsing. From now on I will be doing the rinse and repeat recommended by Aaron here: http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_p...us_plants.html

To keep on the religious theme, I am fully converted now to the process Aaron describes and will be doing it more seriously in my next potting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12