Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes grower trying some sticky traps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh didn't I say that too.....nope I just checked I didn't add that.

I am going to more intensely rinse my medium in the future so that shouldn't be a problem either. Getting my buckets tomorrow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera are where I started with my CP hobby. I have grown many from seed now. I use rinsed peat and pool filter sand (silica, perfect grain size, almost always pre rinsed) I also use LFS+ sand or perlite. I have found Drosera extremely easy to grow from seed, no humidity covers are needed provided your growing conditions aren't extremely low in humidity <10% which would be a bit off anyway for most CPs. Also specific mixes aren't necessary, e.g.50/50; 60/40 etc. you can eyeball it fairly easy. most of the seeds you will be growing are very easy. Just pay heed to cold stratification for your temperate dews( as mentioned in a previous post.) As you go you will see Just how easy they are I have many tanks with pumice rock bottoms, the fans blow seeds from the flowering plants down into the pumice(large rocks) sure enough in a couple weeks there are tiny sundews popping up in pores of the rocks and from in between. Soft non dyed rock wool works amazing as well.

Sow on soaked media
    Pot or tray sitting in water close to half way up
    Humidity at least 30% (but likely where the seeds are it will be 100%)
    T5 6400k+3500k 6-12 inches from seeds, keep your lumens 2k + for fast root development.
    16hr on 8 hr off photoperiod.
    Feed your seedlings when they develop their first "true" carnivorous leaves.

Provided you grow indoors or at least start your seeds indoors where insects are minimal.
    I have found the most useful thing you can do although tedious is feed the tiny little seedlings. (Crushed fish food)(e.g. BugBites*, Aqueon Betta Pellets)They will grow much faster to a size where they become more resilient and just overall reach maturity much much faster. ( it can make the a difference of ~6 months for cape sundews) I chose to include this because I noticed an odd trend in my research when I was first starting out. It seems there are a lot of growers who grow under lights indoors that have a fetish for seeing how long their sundews can go without feeding when starting from seed for reasons unbeknownst to me. I know it sounds odd but you will see it in photo descriptions. Captions like "d. Binata 3 months old never fed" for example. I suppose maybe they are more concerned with their sundews looking pristine rather than overall growth. I on the other hand worry about how pristine they look once they are larger. Furthermore I grow them for their carnivorous appetite, not their ability to photosynthesize.

My 2 cents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate it, i will get the temperate seed treated asap and sow my tropicals. guess ill give them a month treatment should be plenty. just waiting the seed to ship. im not going to grow them in the nepenthes tent so these may be houseplants with a t5 over them nice and close once they are old enough.
    Last edited by nepenthesl0ve; 01-03-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the seed arrived and i got them all potted and put the temperates in a refrigerator. I ended up using perlite for this first attempt as I went through my back storage and had a giant sack sitting there from a past project.

i am curious do you guys just spread the seed as evenly as possible (i mean some of the seed was almost dust hah) then thin the herd? I am thinking I want to grow each species in a pot with as many individual plants as can coexist without weakening each other.

this setup is purely temporary and in the corner of the basement. put up a scrap of white poly i had laying around not exactly a work of art! ill setup a nice display for these on the first floor later when they get sticky and beautiful

IMG_1637 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    IMG_1638 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    IMG_1639 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    IMG_1641 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    IMG_1642 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    IMG_1643 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    Last edited by nepenthesl0ve; 01-03-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good! That last pic a microwave? Haha donít cook your plants!

You will find most sundew Seed is much too small to try and plant in an orderly fashion. Only a few make seeds larger than tiny black dots! I have found that most sundews are quite easy to remove when they are little rosettes or little trees about the with of pencil eraser for most (except pygmies and very small species) you can gently slide tweezers around the mini little plant and GENTLY wiggle them up. You will find most will have developed what looks like a taproot that slides out of the media (even easier in peat vs. LFS so you are good there) then simply use same tweezers to poke a hole where you want them in the pot and slide the root down and apply pressure gently to the media directly around your new transplant, thus closing the hole around the root/s.
    ***when transferring seedlings always transfer into the same type of media they were sprouted in!! Much much more success!
    Keep in mind while very resilient they do not want to be moved so you may risk losing a seedling or two. Also some species handle this disturbance better than others.

With that being said, you will find that sundews look beautiful when they grow from seed that was dispersed at random, like they would be in nature. Another thing to do with sundews that I was greatful to learn is, as soon as your sundew is of decent size (I.e. at least half way to adulthood or more) take a leaf cutting or two and propagate them vegetatively! You will get more plants which will grow much faster to maturity than growing from seed. Also it saves you in the event that something happens to your other plant.

P.S. 2 weeks or a little more is ok for cold stratfication for me I get the best results from that length of time.

I think thatís all I wanted to say right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL it does look a bit like the turning plate of a microwave doesn't it its just a saucer meant to put under large pots to catch runoff and those guys are in a spare refrigerator

thanks for you advice, i will certainly try rooting leaves but my fear atm is that i end up with ten times as many plants as i have room for just from the seed maybe ill have a giveaway to some other members t that point

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha it DID look like a microwave to me too!

Those are looking good. I have some seed on its way and I am very excited! Especially now that this week I have found seedlings in my pots!! I took pictures a few days ago and things have started to get even further along. I will come back on another computer that has the images and share here. Since you enjoy staring and waiting for water to boil as much as I do apparently, you will enjoy the progress report.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedling Update on my end

In this tray I have sowed some wooly sundews I bought and a mix of 50+ seeds. Sadly, the seeds came MIXED not just a variety of seeds but actually mixed together so I don't know what anything is. If you recognize the long grassy looking seedlings please let me know. Hope they are CPs. Not even sure of that. Expecting them to be but yeah who knows.

Several seedlings in the same area

Same Seedling a few more days of progress in second image

Gemmae are progressing as well!

Oh how I wish I had gotten DOZENS of Gemmae at the beginning of the Gemmae season. I just love Pygmy Drosera.

Looking forward to your updates, Nepentheslove!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast