Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nepenthes grower trying some sticky traps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. As you can see in the Gemmae images, the humic acid in the peat is causing a problem there too. I tried to mitigate it but the gemmae are just too fragile and easily moved so I had to eyedropper water on them and it was a really tedious and mostly ineffective process. Tomorrow I plan on doing some more to get the plants themselves more clear of it. sigh...should have really rinsed this batch of peat much more than I had in the past. Getting winter lowe's sphagnum peat block leftovers apparently really has more humic acid in it than the fresh batches of other times of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn you so impatient that you down on the atomic level to see progress LOL those pictures are insanely magnified and its awesome! i can positively ID them as green specks of plant, you are welcome

how many times did you rinse that peat? i went with three times because frankly i got freaked out seeing the problems from humic acid
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The long grass like seedlings are probably a sedge of some kind. You find them a lot in spaghnum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthesl0ve View Post
    damn you so impatient that you down on the atomic level to see progress LOL
    HAHAHAHA You know it, man! Too excited just toooo excited.

...those pictures are insanely magnified and its awesome! i can positively ID them as green specks of plant, you are welcome
    I just wish I could get my iPhone to focus where I want it to. Holding the loupe on the lens AND tapping the screen is difficult and it often looks passed where I am wanting it to focus in the square where I tapped it focus on. So I am going to get a solution for even better macro in the future. The 100mm Canon lens I have with this Canon camera is great but can't get in there to my seedlings without a taller tripod or me on a step stool capturing a fast shutter image. Which is what I can do in the future but using that loupe was really nice.

...how many times did you rinse that peat? i went with three times because frankly i got freaked out seeing the problems from humic acid
    You are correct to be freaked out. It isn't terrible but it is annoying and easily resolved if you have netflix or a good podcast to listen to while you rinse.

You should feel good because in the case of my problem plants and those gemmae I only rinsed and squeezed the peat ONCE. I did it in Distilled Water so I didn't want to waste much more. Just soaked it and squeezed it dry before putting in with the sand.

So what I am going to do with my next batch here this week when I get my next seeds is get the bucket method and regular water that Aaron recommended on GrowSundews.com. Tamlin's extra careful method I won't do and wouldn't with my tiny pots and apartment living. I will for SURE do it three times. A good rinse like you did. I am confident that will do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am still new to taking plant photos with my iphone having one hell of a time getting a focused shot up close but i ordered a macro lens that attaches to the phone.... hopefully i can get some decent shots soon
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I ordered a macro lens that attaches to the phone.... hopefully i can get some decent shots soon
    Ooooooo Nice! I cant wait to see if those can pull out some good shots!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    The long grass like seedlings are probably a sedge of some kind. You find them a lot in spaghnum.
    Sigh oh man....I was worried about that. I get them all the time in my pots, but with how many were growing at a time there in that same spot I was hopeful. But yeah...those seedlings are just too grassy...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234