What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes grower trying some sticky traps

Looking good! That last pic a microwave? Haha don’t cook your plants!

You will find most sundew Seed is much too small to try and plant in an orderly fashion. Only a few make seeds larger than tiny black dots! I have found that most sundews are quite easy to remove when they are little rosettes or little trees about the with of pencil eraser for most (except pygmies and very small species) you can gently slide tweezers around the mini little plant and GENTLY wiggle them up. You will find most will have developed what looks like a taproot that slides out of the media (even easier in peat vs. LFS so you are good there) then simply use same tweezers to poke a hole where you want them in the pot and slide the root down and apply pressure gently to the media directly around your new transplant, thus closing the hole around the root/s.
***when transferring seedlings always transfer into the same type of media they were sprouted in!! Much much more success!
Keep in mind while very resilient they do not want to be moved so you may risk losing a seedling or two. Also some species handle this disturbance better than others.

With that being said, you will find that sundews look beautiful when they grow from seed that was dispersed at random, like they would be in nature. Another thing to do with sundews that I was greatful to learn is, as soon as your sundew is of decent size (I.e. at least half way to adulthood or more) take a leaf cutting or two and propagate them vegetatively! You will get more plants which will grow much faster to maturity than growing from seed. Also it saves you in the event that something happens to your other plant.

P.S. 2 weeks or a little more is ok for cold stratfication for me I get the best results from that length of time.

I think that’s all I wanted to say right now.

LOL it does look a bit like the turning plate of a microwave doesn't it :0o::-)) its just a saucer meant to put under large pots to catch runoff and those guys are in a spare refrigerator :-O

thanks for you advice, i will certainly try rooting leaves but my fear atm is that i end up with ten times as many plants as i have room for just from the seed ???:jester: maybe ill have a giveaway to some other members t that point

Haha it DID look like a microwave to me too! :D

Those are looking good. I have some seed on its way and I am very excited! Especially now that this week I have found seedlings in my pots!! :D I took pictures a few days ago and things have started to get even further along. I will come back on another computer that has the images and share here. Since you enjoy staring and waiting for water to boil as much as I do apparently, you will enjoy the progress report. :D

Seedling Update on my end :D

In this tray I have sowed some wooly sundews I bought and a mix of 50+ seeds. Sadly, the seeds came MIXED not just a variety of seeds but actually mixed together so I don't know what anything is. If you recognize the long grassy looking seedlings please let me know. :D Hope they are CPs. Not even sure of that. Expecting them to be but yeah who knows.

Several seedlings in the same area
Seedlings.jpg

Seedling_2.jpg

Same Seedling a few more days of progress in second image
Seedling_1a.jpg

Seedling_1.jpg

Gemmae are progressing as well!
Gemmae_1.jpg

Gemmae_2.jpg

Oh how I wish I had gotten DOZENS of Gemmae at the beginning of the Gemmae season. I just love Pygmy Drosera. :D

Looking forward to your updates, Nepentheslove!

P.S. As you can see in the Gemmae images, the humic acid in the peat is causing a problem there too. I tried to mitigate it but the gemmae are just too fragile and easily moved so I had to eyedropper water on them and it was a really tedious and mostly ineffective process. Tomorrow I plan on doing some more to get the plants themselves more clear of it. sigh...should have really rinsed this batch of peat much more than I had in the past. Getting winter lowe's sphagnum peat block leftovers apparently really has more humic acid in it than the fresh batches of other times of the year. :hopelessness:

damn you so impatient that you down on the atomic level to see progress LOL those pictures are insanely magnified and its awesome! i can positively ID them as green specks of plant, you are welcome :bigthumpup:

how many times did you rinse that peat? i went with three times because frankly i got freaked out seeing the problems from humic acid

The long grass like seedlings are probably a sedge of some kind. You find them a lot in spaghnum.

damn you so impatient that you down on the atomic level to see progress LOL
HAHAHAHA You know it, man! Too excited just toooo excited.

...those pictures are insanely magnified and its awesome! i can positively ID them as green specks of plant, you are welcome :bigthumpup:
I just wish I could get my iPhone to focus where I want it to. Holding the loupe on the lens AND tapping the screen is difficult and it often looks passed where I am wanting it to focus in the square where I tapped it focus on. So I am going to get a solution for even better macro in the future. The 100mm Canon lens I have with this Canon camera is great but can't get in there to my seedlings without a taller tripod or me on a step stool capturing a fast shutter image. Which is what I can do in the future but using that loupe was really nice. :D

...how many times did you rinse that peat? i went with three times because frankly i got freaked out seeing the problems from humic acid
You are correct to be freaked out. It isn't terrible but it is annoying and easily resolved if you have netflix or a good podcast to listen to while you rinse.

You should feel good because in the case of my problem plants and those gemmae I only rinsed and squeezed the peat ONCE. I did it in Distilled Water so I didn't want to waste much more. Just soaked it and squeezed it dry before putting in with the sand.

So what I am going to do with my next batch here this week when I get my next seeds is get the bucket method and regular water that Aaron recommended on GrowSundews.com. Tamlin's extra careful method I won't do and wouldn't with my tiny pots and apartment living. I will for SURE do it three times. A good rinse like you did. I am confident that will do.

i am still new to taking plant photos with my iphone having one hell of a time getting a focused shot up close but i ordered a macro lens that attaches to the phone.... hopefully i can get some decent shots soon

...I ordered a macro lens that attaches to the phone.... hopefully i can get some decent shots soon
Ooooooo :0o: Nice! I cant wait to see if those can pull out some good shots!

The long grass like seedlings are probably a sedge of some kind. You find them a lot in spaghnum.

Sigh oh man....I was worried about that. I get them all the time in my pots, but with how many were growing at a time there in that same spot I was hopeful. But yeah...those seedlings are just too grassy...

Very nice! :triumphant:
Not bad shots from a phone with a slip over macro lens!

some more macros of my sundew seedlings and ping leaf pullings (thank you grey moss)
IMG_2036 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2034 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2033 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

IMG_2032 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2031 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2028 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2027 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2023 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2025 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2024 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

also a little guy i found under one of my VFTs that showed up on its own. Is this a capensis? got him his own space and first meal!
IMG_2037 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2042 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2047 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

That's D. filiformis. D. capensis looks very different even when young.

okay thanks :) didnt know filiformis bent around its food like that! I have much to learn

Those are some nice macro shots. Sundew seedlings are so much fun!

Those are some nice macro shots. Sundew seedlings are so much fun!

Thanks :) Is there a simple way to control the white "fuzz" on the top suface of peat moss? I rinsed it 3 times to prevent algae but now this is showing up and worried it will hamper growth of the little tiny seedlings. I do not have a fan on these plants currently since they are growing openly in a bedroom. Perhaps a tiny but of added airflow would do it?

Back