What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Weed" D. burmannii found growing hydroponically

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
At least I think it counts. I found it while repotting Sarracenia rooted down into the layer of algae that grows in the water tray. Quite possibly some of the best snap tentacles I've seen on this one too!

Attachments

• 20190131_175427.jpg
    20190131_175427.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190131_175441.jpg
    20190131_175441.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190131_175518.jpg
    20190131_175518.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 91
Very nice. They sure look as happy growing in muck as they do in regular media.

Man that looks like a rake! Great looking snap tentacles! 😃

Crazy how that seed made it work in that muck 😆

it contrasts really nicely against the slimy background. I would agree that it looks like a rake! Very cool!

At least I think it counts. I found it while repotting Sarracenia rooted down into the layer of algae that grows in the water tray. Quite possibly some of the best snap tentacles I've seen on this one too!
\What do you mean by snap tentacles? like drosera glanduligera?

Yes, the longer tentacles are quick moving to help prevent food from getting away.

\What do you mean by snap tentacles? like drosera glanduligera?

D. glanduligera has a different class of snap tentacles though; other species can be very rapid moving, but not to the same extent and they operate under a different mechanism. D. burmannii, sessilifolia, and many pygmy sundew species have snap tentacles that can also move at a readily visible rate, and many other species have marginal tentacles that move faster than the rest of the leaf, but not quite so fast as to be readily visible.

You might also describe this as growing epiphytically.

That was the other term I was trying to decide between.

Drosera burmannii, the tropical sundew, is a small, compact species in the carnivorous plant genus Drosera. Its natural geographical range includes Australia, India, China, Japan, and southeast Asia. It normally spans only 2 cm in diameter

Drosera burmannii, the tropical sundew, is a small, compact species in the carnivorous plant genus Drosera. Its natural geographical range includes Australia, India, China, Japan, and southeast Asia. It normally spans only 2 cm in diameter

Which contributes...what to this particular thread?
George, we know most of this information and it's not particularly helpful or productive to be posted on a thread concerning just an odd observance.

he may be a bot, posted in my grow thread the definition of a grow tent for no apparent reason

Back