What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does my first CP look ok?

• Thread starter mutex
  • Start date
I got a live drosera capensis online, my first journey into the CP world. As soon as it arrived I followed the instructions and soaked the LFS in distilled water and put it in a slighlty larger pot than the one that it came with.

After I potted it I noticed a few of the ends were turning black. The seller told me they'll regrow and it shouldnt be a problem. I saw a post on here that said often sundews look a little ratty when they first arrive but bounce back.

Its been 2 weeks now...the plant doesnt look like its bouncing back to me, but since ive never grown one before I dont really know. Could someone take a look and let me know if it looks OK? Here's pic of the lil guy...

plant1.jpg

plant5.jpg

Last edited:
It looks fine. 2 weeks still isn't very long to have been growing a drosera. New growth seems green, which is all you need.

That is typical for receiving a new plant and re-potting it. They tend to kill off much of the previous growth (leaves, pitchers, etc) and grow them anew. Quite a few nepenthes I've received took months before finally pitchering again.

The old leaves will remain looking bad, but the central point (where the new leaves grow from) is what you need to watch. The plant should push out new leaves, but it does take some time.
Good Luck! :D

Good rule of thumb with a new carnivorous plant (that isn't a Nepenthes), wait a month to see how it will grow. After a month, the new leaves the plant puts out are going to be a good indication of what to expect from the plant under your conditions.

My personal experience with D. capensis is that they grow better in peat based mixes instead of 100% LFSM but my conditions are not ideal for growing that species of plant in that kind of substrate. I've heard of other people having more luck with pure LFSM. Provided that the plant is getting enough of the right kind of light (at least 3-6 hours of direct sunlight or 12-16 hours of intense artificial light) and the temperatures are not extreme, the plant should grow fine. If the brand new leaves keeping coming up without tentacles for an extended period of time or the plant refuses to dew for a long period of time, you might want to switch to a rinsed peat/perlite based substrate.

Last edited:
Back