What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera germination

• Thread starter Deleted member 13798
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13798

Hi guys. So I'm thinking of purchasing some Drosera seeds and have done a little bit of research and have found that some of the seeds I'm currently looking at buying, require 'hot stratification'. Is that where I put them in a sealed plastic bag for extra warmth and humidity? The seeds I've found are the following:
Drosera Stolonifera

Drosera binata

Drosera burkeana

Drosera burmanii

Drosera capensis „White flower"

Drosera capensis „Pink flower"

Drosera indica " Jacky,Jacky"

Drosera nidiformis

Drosera indica "White flower"

Drosera spathulata

How do I go about winter dormancy? As it will be winter here soon...

Cheers

None of the species you listed go through a winter dormancy, and the only one that I see that goes through hot stratification is stolonifera, in which case you basically set the seeds on the surface of the pot and leave it through a hot summer, and they germinate in fall (it's easier to get them to germinate if they are treated in some manner instead though, such as via smoke water or GA3).
I'd also wonder about some of the seed types you've listed; very few people grow D. burkeana and it's a fair chance you'll just end up with mislabeled tokaiensis seeds. All D. capensis have pink flowers as well besides the cultivar D. 'Albino', but there are many other capensis forms. And, there is only D. spatulata, not D. spathulata.

None of the species you listed go through a winter dormancy, and the only one that I see that goes through hot stratification is stolonifera, in which case you basically set the seeds on the surface of the pot and leave it through a hot summer, and they germinate in fall (it's easier to get them to germinate if they are treated in some manner instead though, such as via smoke water or GA3).
I'd also wonder about some of the seed types you've listed; very few people grow D. burkeana and it's a fair chance you'll just end up with mislabeled tokaiensis seeds. All D. capensis have pink flowers as well besides the cultivar D. 'Albino', but there are many other capensis forms. And, there is only D. spatulata, not D. spathulata.

Well that definitely helps me out a lot. Thanks!

Alright, so I'm now looking at buying some D.Derbyensis, D.Ordensis and D.Kenneallyi seeds(As these guys look really, really cool!). Would anyone be willing to share their knowledge of these species..Any info about them from seed to mature plants (including seasonal quirks) would be much appreciated.

I would be doubtful of those. Petiolaris drosera seed are a lot less common. In any case you'll want to keep them very warm during germination.

Of the few places that I see selling what might actually be petiolaris-complex seeds too, they either send too few seeds to ensure you'll get germination, or seeds that may be too old (among the Drosera seeds that don't quite have the shelf life of most even in cold storage), so better to seek plants. And they need HOT conditions to germinate, Sonoran Desert hot.

Thanks!

Also, make sure you're not buying from China or anything like that. Most likely you'll end up with grass seeds or something which we don't want :)

Jeremy

Also, make sure you're not buying from China or anything like that. Most likely you'll end up with grass seeds or something which we don't want :)

Jeremy

Na, I wouldn't do that 😂. I'm looking at a Canadian site. Seems good and legitimate.

Back