What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decreasing Photoperiod - All at Once?

• Thread starter summit
  • Start date
Quick and easy question. With temperature sundews like pygmy sundews that are grown under artificial lighting; how quickly should I shorten their photoperiod to trigger gemmae production? Once the temperatures start cooling off just drop them down 2-3 hours at once? Or slowly like a hour each day?

Try 15 minutes to maybe a half hour a week; natural photoperiod doesn't suddenly drop, so they will likely not appreciate such a sudden change either, and it only changes a few hours one way or the other across half the year. If you dropped the photoperiod an hour a day for the whole time they expect a decrease to be occurring, even if you started with lights on for 24 hours you'd end up with total darkness only after a couple weeks.

Try 15 minutes to maybe a half hour a week; natural photoperiod doesn't suddenly drop, so they will likely not appreciate such a sudden change either, and it only changes a few hours one way or the other across half the year. If you dropped the photoperiod an hour a day for the whole time they expect a decrease to be occurring, even if you started with lights on for 24 hours you'd end up with total darkness only after a couple weeks.

Thank you Carlton, I believe my timer does 30 minute intervals so I'll do 30 minutes a week. Could you suggest a time to start decreasing the light time? Now perhaps?

If it's 30 minute intervals, I'd go with every other week. starting now if you haven't. And I increase and decrease photoperiods throughout the year in time with the actual change of seasons. Australian species will be more apt to produce gemmae/flower/wake up at the right times if this gradual decrease results in a winter low of under 10 hours of light a day, and then lengthen to 14-16 or so in summer.

Back