What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. anglica Alpine x HI

Drosera anglica alpine variety (D. anglica var. pusilla) x HI

I made this hybrid a few years ago. One plant in the latest generation is smaller than the Hawaiian; the longest leaf so far has not even reached 1 inch. It produces only one flower per stalk. This fast maturing sundew will be good for scientific experiments.

Attachments

• D. anglica alpine x HI F2 9.10.19.jpg
    D. anglica alpine x HI F2 9.10.19.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 71
How interesting! Neat that it puts out a single flower.

Oh nice, it certainly does look like a miniature HI anglica

Thanks for the replies. Another neat thing about the alpine D. anglica: I read before I got it that like D. linearis, this sundew also tolerates alkaline soil. I tested by planting on beach sand from my neighborhood, and sure enough it grew fine on it. I plan to do more selective breeding of my hybrid for such traits. I dream of one day having a sundew which will be able to live in a few streetside gutters (which in the past were natural seeps) of the urban Los Angeles region. The Gutterdew is coming!
Ivan Snyder AKA the evil Dr. FrankenSnyder

I dream of one day having a sundew which will be able to live in a few streetside gutters (which in the past were natural seeps) of the urban Los Angeles region. The Gutterdew is coming!

That would be sheer fun!

Last edited:
I dream of one day having a sundew which will be able to live in a few streetside gutters (which in the past were natural seeps) of the urban Los Angeles region. The Gutterdew is coming!

And if you can have it your way, which sundew do you want your Gutterdew to look like? Do you go small and cute like burmannii? Sprawling like binata? Climbing like madagascariensis? Or do you make a statement and go with the king? Or does Gutterdew have to be loved and hated by all, like capensis?

And if you can have it your way, which sundew do you want your Gutterdew to look like? Do you go small and cute like burmannii? Sprawling like binata? Climbing like madagascariensis? Or do you make a statement and go with the king? Or does Gutterdew have to be loved and hated by all, like capensis?

I am sure most growers would prefer a large D. anglica such as my CA X HI creation. But I have been thinking a small annual form would be better equipped for survival in the ephemeral seeps of my area. Fun experimentation, but probably not really possible. My few sundews capture all the awful mosquito invaders to my apartment. This is the best environment for them nowadays. Another dream: More realistically we may hope for a form of D. anglica to become the official Los Angeles Sundew.

A little more info: D. anglica exists in Northern California and possibly may have existed here in Southern California in the past. This helps explain the presence of the species in Hawaii, as a number of other plants there came from here via rafting the ocean currants. D. anglica in Hawaii is not like in Alaska… A map from the 1800s shows two “bog”s in the Los Angeles area. I believe the differences on the map between “bog” and “marsh” implies the presence of sphagnum moss.

Quite possibly, although all sorts of things called "bogs" colloquially don't strictly meet the technical definitions of a bog vs. marshes or other types of wetlands.

I admit I am wildly speculating. But it is a sad fact that the now so-called Los Angeles River is mostly a concrete channel. One of the two “bog”s listed on the old Rancho San Pedro map was along this channel.

>Or do you make a statement and go with the king? Or does Gutterdew have to be loved and hated by all, like capensis?
-Andrew

Yes, the King of England should decide. After all, D. anglica is the 'Great English Sundew'. So funny:)

Back