What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original D. x obovata ‘Ivan’s Paddle’

I created this cultivar of a tropical growing fertile tetraploid D. x obovata. My manmade hybrid is unique and of scientific interest because the natural triploid hybrid is sterile, unable to produce viable seed. Originally, my hybrid was slightly fertile. Mysteriously, over several generations, fertility was completely restored. Also, the first generation plant had a bit different leaf shape. The juvenile leaves were very round as in the rotundifolia parent, and later, upon maturity, the leaves became paddle shaped.

I gave away all my first generation plants years ago. Recently I met Bluemax who had the original form here on Terraforums. He got the plant from another member, not-a-number who I gave it to. Thanks to these guys and Terraforums I got the original again. Beautiful plant; great to get it back!

Attachments

• Ivan's Paddle 1.21.20.jpg
    Ivan's Paddle 1.21.20.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 60
Fascinating that the hybrid developed full fertility from partial. An undescribed evolutionary process, perhaps?

Yes, a possible Nobel Prize for someone there.

Genetic recombination, random alignment of the right set of chromosomes/gene arrangements for fertility to return without nondisjunction and gamete breakdown.

Genetic recombination, random alignment of the right set of chromosomes/gene arrangements for fertility to return without nondisjunction and gamete breakdown.
Thanks for your thoughts. The fertility increased gradually over several generations.

That's so cool! I love it when I'm able to locate a plant I've lost, and that's just a plant I've owned and not one I created. I can't even imagine the excitement of locating a plant with such certainty is the one I created!

Back