What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata Advice - Black tips but otherwise acts healthy

I have been growing this drosera along with about 6 others in the same environment for a year, and this is the only plant to have this issue. Over the last 4-6 months, the leaf tips never fully develop and instead die right before uncurling the last little bit. I have tried everything from reducing light, to increasing humidity, to not feeding the leaves before they are done developing. So far, they continue to develop the same. Otherwise, the plant is doing well. It flowers, produces a lot of dew, and digests whatever I feed it.

Below is a picture of the leaf. The far left leaf shows how even though it is dead at the ends like most leaves, it is not because it is old. The leaf is still functional and overall looks somewhat healthy considering the dew production. The only issue is that it never uncurled fully and turned black right at the end. Conditions were with two 40 W LED bulbs on for 15 hours a day two feet above (small radius of light), now down to one. Other drosera not showing signs of stress.

I am just looking for tips, because from what I can tell it is not humic acid buildup, and it does not seem like too little light as happens with many plants on this forum.

Thank you again, below is a picture of the plant:
IMG_2578.jpg

Last edited:
Black tips are typically either the result of some form of soil issue (not tannin build-ups, but other compounds present) or a dry air current blowing over the plants.

Thanks for the reply.

Any clue as to why the other plants are unaffected in the same soil? They are in the same habitat, but this is the only plant that displays these symptoms. Also, I have been trying to check for humic acid buildup, but the leaves do not have any issues with that as far as I can tell. They have not been in here for long enough that a soil change would be warranted I think, so I am a bit confused overall considering I am religious about not using fertilizers or anything other than distilled water.

To address the other suggestion, there is no air current now. There was a very light air current to keep from getting mold, but that has been stopped.

This may not help in diagnosing the problem, but I have noticed that the leaves slowly die from the very tip to the end of the curl, and you can watch them slowly change color rather than already be dead before uncurling. They just stop uncurling and slowly die, but the overall lifespan of the leaf is unaffected.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, because again this is the only plant in the setup that is displaying these symptoms.

Last edited:
Had the same issue wiht my binata, i put it outside, and the blackening stopped for the most part,

Do you have any idea why? If anything I seem to be giving too much light now.

Back