Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera Regia Issues

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it looks to me like the plants lacked light for a period in there growth. I've seen this happen many times when repotting Drosera that has think roots and tends to sprout off shoots. What happens is the offshoot may start inches below the surface and has to grow a long stem to reach the surface.

This can happen during regular growth or with root cuttings.

You can do one of two things:

1. Cover the bare stem portion up to near the growth point with media i.e. raise the level of the media. If one or two of the growth points get covered that's okay as the points will eventually grow up to the surface.

2. "Decapitate" the plant - just where the black root starts turning brown and tapers off at the top. Just cover the now "headless" root with media. Pot the head covering the bare stem. The headless root will start new growth points and/or offshoots. The "head" (with leaves) will grow a new root. If you're not confident enough to do this just do (1).

Drosera regia is a lot tougher and resilient than the get credit for. I couldn't tell you how many times I thought I killed them and they bounced back.

Here are mine. They're in 1 gallon stock nursery pots, 60-40 perlite-peat mix. The block pots are clone R1 and the brown is clone C. I repotted clone C last quarter last year and clone R1 either in Dec or January. The bale of peat moss I bought earlier is bad for much of my Drosera and a different brand (which is the one I usually buy) seems okay. The leaves were growing distorted and the R1 was down to the growth points which were turning black and only three left. The R1 is actually putting up a flower - first time in 10-12 years. Probably due to the prolonged and somewhat colder (for Los Angeles) winter. The R1 in the foreground was just repotted yesterday. I had put it in LFS to recover rather than the peat mix. LFS is not the ideal media, at least for me. Root is at least 1/4" and 12" long.

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Yes, it looks to me like the plants lacked light for a period in there growth. I've seen this happen many times when repotting Drosera that has think roots and tends to sprout off shoots. What happens is the offshoot may start inches below the surface and has to grow a long stem to reach the surface.

This can happen during regular growth or with root cuttings.

You can do one of two things:

1. Cover the bare stem portion up to near the growth point with media i.e. raise the level of the media. If one or two of the growth points get covered that's okay as the points will eventually grow up to the surface.

2. "Decapitate" the plant - just where the black root starts turning brown and tapers off at the top. Just cover the now "headless" root with media. Pot the head covering the bare stem. The headless root will start new growth points and/or offshoots. The "head" (with leaves) will grow a new root. If you're not confident enough to do this just do (1).

Drosera regia is a lot tougher and resilient than the get credit for. I couldn't tell you how many times I thought I killed them and they bounced back.

Here are mine. They're in 1 gallon stock nursery pots, 60-40 perlite-peat mix. The block pots are clone R1 and the brown is clone C. I repotted clone C last quarter last year and clone R1 either in Dec or January. The bale of peat moss I bought earlier is bad for much of my Drosera and a different brand (which is the one I usually buy) seems okay. The leaves were growing distorted and the R1 was down to the growth points which were turning black and only three left. The R1 is actually putting up a flower - first time in 10-12 years. Probably due to the prolonged and somewhat colder (for Los Angeles) winter. The R1 in the foreground was just repotted yesterday. I had put it in LFS to recover rather than the peat mix. LFS is not the ideal media, at least for me. Root is at least 1/4" and 12" long.

Thank you Not a Number! I previously posted a response but it never showed up... I am afraid of putting the Regia into greater shock since itís only been outside for like 5 weeks, and weíve had some incredibly wackadoo weather. On the other hand, doing something dramatic could improve itís health, OR on the other handís hand, such a thing could send it careening into rapid decline! It just feels like Iím decapitating the King, after all heís been through. Someone, please tell me if Iím being overprotective. Thank you all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can remove the media in one piece from the pot. Split the mass between the two plants without disturbing the roots then put the one in a deeper pot and cover the bare stem.

Like I said, D. regia is more robust than people give it credit for.

Here's the smaller Clone R1 which was repotted twice within 5 months. The media was changed completely cleaning off any of the old media from the roots. This picture was taken less than 7 days from the earlier picture post above. You can see how much it has perked simply from repotting from LFS to peat and perlite:

Here's a closer picture of the other pot of Clone R1 showing the distorted leaves from the bad peat moss. If the one plant doesn't start growing normal leaves - off with its head!

Finally here is the flower bud:
    Last edited by Not a Number; 06-05-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Not Clone C should be R1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    You can remove the media in one piece from the pot. Split the mass between the two plants without disturbing the roots then put the one in a deeper pot and cover the bare stem.

Like I said, D. regia is more robust than people give it credit for.

Here's the smaller Clone C which was repotted twice within 5 months. The media was changed completely cleaning off any of the old media from the roots. This picture was taken less than 7 days from the earlier picture post above. You can see how much it has perked simply from repotting from LFS to peat and perlite:

Here's a closer picture of the other pot of Clone C showing the distorted leaves from the bad peat moss. If the one plant doesn't start growing normal leaves - off with its head!
    Thank you Not a Number. I believe you, and everyone here, and will give it a new start. And if it dies a horrible death, then Iíll have someone else to blame 😉. Will be sharing my results, too. Thank you to all of you, I really appreciate you and this forum!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake, those should be Clone R1. Got Clone C on my mind because I put one up in the auction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12