Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Regia Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera Regia Issues

My 2-3 year old Drosera Regia (purchased as a baby of about 2 Inches) was just moved outside since itís warmed up and also because the plant does not seem to be thriving indoors. It is in a 6 inch pot of quality LFS, and the plant has been kept consistently moist with rain or distilled water. If dewy, it gets hydrated bloodworms about once a month. It has been receiving morning direct light and bright indirect light all day both indoors and out. About 5-6 weeks ago, since it appeared to be waking up, I put 4 osmocote pellets in the soil. The stem is spindly and bare because I have removed the black leaves as they have died, and the leaves have never grown longer than 2 or so inches. Babies appear to be growing on their own in the soil, which is fabulous, but I must be doing something very wrong. Please help! (Sorry, I canít figure out how to directly add photos) https://photos.app.goo.gl/5PCAAtA1VfWhYbju9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone think I should bury the stem in LFS? Iíve only seen Regiaís grow straight out of substrate, not take on such a baby-tree look. Then again, Iíve only had hands-on experience with this particular King. Drosera Regia Issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently posted photos of my D. regia plants on IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAY78soFbaw/ I don't think I've ever seen a D. regia do what yours is, but if I were to take what I know about other plants I would say it needs more light. It looks like it is reaching big time to find lights if you look at the distance between each leaf. I don't think I'd bury the stem. I think just get it to some better light, acclimating slowly... I don't know what the main plant will do, but at least you have some coming up from the roots that should be able to grow a better stem since they're so young.
    Good luck!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOerr it does look a bit poorly doesn't it, I would endorse what Andrew has said and suggest that maybe the water level should be kept about 1-2"rather than any deeper as that stops oxygen to the roots.
    Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the plant ever been allowed to go dormant? Mine have every year since 1988.

Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I recently posted photos of my D. regia plants on IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAY78soFbaw/ I don't think I've ever seen a D. regia do what yours is, but if I were to take what I know about other plants I would say it needs more light. It looks like it is reaching big time to find lights if you look at the distance between each leaf. I don't think I'd bury the stem. I think just get it to some better light, acclimating slowly... I don't know what the main plant will do, but at least you have some coming up from the roots that should be able to grow a better stem since they're so young.
    Good luck!
    Andrew
    I will definitely provide it with more light and do my best to acclimate it slowly. Your D. Regias look great. 👍 Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Booth View Post
    OOOerr it does look a bit poorly doesn't it, I would endorse what Andrew has said and suggest that maybe the water level should be kept about 1-2"rather than any deeper as that stops oxygen to the roots.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Thank you for pointing that out, Steve. Iíll lower the water level in addition to giving it more light.
    Last edited by pooparella; 05-26-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Has the plant ever been allowed to go dormant? Mine have every year since 1988.
    Wow Fred, your D. Regias are incredible! You really know how to make a gal jealous...

My plant seemed to go semi-dormant this year, if thatís possible. It lost dew and got smaller, but never formed a real hibernacula. Then when the lighting changed, it did itís best to perk up and sprouted the ďlittle princes,Ē to announce it was back for another round of trying. Perhaps I didnít handle the situation properly, what do you do with your Regias during dormancy? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants die back to these winter buds.

Drosera Regia Issues-regia-hibernaculum-jpg

Drosera Regia Issues-drosera-regia-winter-bud-jpg

I just treat them like any other dormant cp.

New growth can start from January onwards.

Note that I am in the UK.
    Last edited by fredg; 05-26-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: location detail
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast