What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just bought this fragile Drosera, help me resurrect it pls :D

Hi Guys,

I’m new here and new to growing carnivorous plants so I would like to get some help from you please. I just bought my first Drosera Capensis, or that’s what I think it is…Could you please confirm?
The plant doesn’t look too good in my opinion, the leaves are beginning to get brown and die starting from the top and no dew is produced at all. I got it fro a super-market where it probably didn’t see the light of the day and the soil was dried out. I live in Romania where is now autumn and I don’t have direct sunlight on my windows. Can I grow the plant without special artificial light? Is the room’s light bulb enough?
Do you think I can rescue it, and if yes how?
Should I repot the plant, in what kind of soil, is general flower soil good?
I think there are actually two or three plants in there… should I split them apart in different pots?

20201024_031225.jpg20201023_233317.jpg

Thank You,
Catalin

A room light will not be enough, they're too far away and if they're incancendant bulbs the wrong kind of light. If your window does not get any direct sun you will need some artificial light in the form of florescent or LED lights within a foot of the plant.
That plant does not need to be repotted at the moment, but if you do use only spaghnum peat moss with no additives. General flower soil will kill it.
I'd also leave all the plants together, they grow fine as a clump.

Agree with the above, and I want to pile on with a second vote for get a good light as my primary suggestion. Once you get a good light, make sure the plant is sitting in 1-2 cm of water too. For CFLs I suggest a 26W/100W equivalent because that's what I use and it works well. It seems like for LEDs anything will do well.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
I have LED bulbs 6500K, 1500lm, will that be good for the plant? Would it be a good idea to hang the plant under this kind of light?

Thank You,
Catalin

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
I have LED bulbs 6500K, 1500lm, will that be good for the plant? Would it be a good idea to hang the plant under this kind of light?

Thank You,
Catalin

That sounds like one of the wavelengths that people usually use so it'll probably be ok. I'd go ahead and hook it up already and give your plant a week or two under the light and see if it improves. It should by then, so if it hasn't it'll be time to look into something else but that light sounds about right.

catalinux777: I would just like to express agreement with the advice already given and to suggest this info, if you haven't already read it: https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/guides/SubtropicalDrosera

You have chosen a good beginner species, and the identification seems correct. Drosera capensis, the cape sundew, is not only pretty spectacular but relatively easy to grow and tolerant of imperfections in its culture. Good luck!

Thank you so much guys for your valuable comments and suggestions, they are really valuable!
Do you think I should prune the leaves that are turning brown or just leave the plant be?

I try to not remove any leaf that isn't completely dead. If they have any green on them at all they are still photosynthesizing and contributing to the plant.

Back