What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. linearis "Michigan"

• Thread starter picol
  • Start date
Hi guys, first of all Happy new year!! I have a couple of questions about this located drosera, do you know which is the best substrate for sowing, peat or sand? And for growing season? The second question is because i grow the Dorcas bay as well, and despite they have germinated in peat, in this substrate they have a very slow growth, moved in quarz sand are much faster.
Thank to all!

You got me curious since I've read about sundews in MI growing in alkaline soils. Here is a link from the U. of Mich herbarium listing D. linearis and locations where it grows. All in calcareous soils. https://michiganflora.net/species.aspx?id=1177

Disclaimer: I have never grown any calcareous growing sundews. I have no first hand experience growing these plants. But I'd lean towards a calcium carbonate containing sand.

BUT, let others on this site that know better than I speak up. I stand correctable.

I am new to this species having a single tiny dormant plant surrounded by a pot full of seeds. I do wonder from the comment about it growing faster in sand if it wouldn't prefer a more neutral medium than peat, which is what I have mine in.

Though D. linearis naturally grows in alkaline habitats basically across the board, it is not at all a requirement for their survival in cultivation; it's just an adaptation to avoid competition. They will do better in a mix on the sandier side but peat is just fine for them if it's a coarse grade. What they really need in order to do well is regular feeding, so that they build up the resources necessary for healthy hibernacula and flowering. And they will dictate their growing season; when they go dormant, give them cold conditions for a while no matter the time of year (they can manage sometimes 2 growing seasons a year if you don't keep them cold for 6-8 months at a time).

All true hcarlton. I’d like to add: while reading through the fen habitat section of Schnell’s book, and after giving up growing linearis, I learned that those fen soils are rather high in Phosphorus; an essential element lacking in more typical bog soils. If I were to try again I would add crushed seashell.

All sorts of good info. Thanks, guys!

Thanks to everyone for the link and the info!!! Yesterday i sowed in a mix with pumice, fine quarz sand and very very few peat. Now we have some restriction a cause of coronavirus, but when we will be free to move again i'd like to go to the local river for collecting a little bit of sand for an attempt for sowing in only mineral.

Last edited:
Don't just collect material out of a river, you don't know what contaminants are in it. Stick with known clean sources like pool filter sand, washed blasting abrasives, etc.

Yes you are right Hcarlton, i didn't thought to the pollution. Maybe a neutral substrate is enough.
[MENTION=11505]FrankenSnyder[/MENTION], could work crushed egg shells instead of seashells?

Bone meal would be more fun:) I have been growing Alpine D. anglica (var. pusilla) and my Super Sundew on neutral to slightly alkaline gravel including decomposed granite. Looks good topped with live sphagnum. More info:
D. anglica Alpine x HI

I did a simple test: Poured a solution of crushed sea shells into a cup holding a small Super Sundew which was forming a weak flower stalk. After the phosphate dose there was a growth spurt and the flower opened perfectly with much pollen. I wish all you growing linearis good luck as it is a very interesting plant and fairly rare.

really thank you for the news! right few days ago i sowed some seeds (others sowed in classic mix with quartz sand and few peat) in pure fine quartz sand in which i mixed a little bit of crushed (powder) egg shell, let's see what happens with this mix. Thank you for your wishes!

Back