Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. linearis "Michigan"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. linearis "Michigan"

Hi guys, first of all Happy new year!! I have a couple of questions about this located drosera, do you know which is the best substrate for sowing, peat or sand? And for growing season? The second question is because i grow the Dorcas bay as well, and despite they have germinated in peat, in this substrate they have a very slow growth, moved in quarz sand are much faster.
    Thank to all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got me curious since I've read about sundews in MI growing in alkaline soils. Here is a link from the U. of Mich herbarium listing D. linearis and locations where it grows. All in calcareous soils. https://michiganflora.net/species.aspx?id=1177

Disclaimer: I have never grown any calcareous growing sundews. I have no first hand experience growing these plants. But I'd lean towards a calcium carbonate containing sand.

BUT, let others on this site that know better than I speak up. I stand correctable.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to this species having a single tiny dormant plant surrounded by a pot full of seeds. I do wonder from the comment about it growing faster in sand if it wouldn't prefer a more neutral medium than peat, which is what I have mine in.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though D. linearis naturally grows in alkaline habitats basically across the board, it is not at all a requirement for their survival in cultivation; it's just an adaptation to avoid competition. They will do better in a mix on the sandier side but peat is just fine for them if it's a coarse grade. What they really need in order to do well is regular feeding, so that they build up the resources necessary for healthy hibernacula and flowering. And they will dictate their growing season; when they go dormant, give them cold conditions for a while no matter the time of year (they can manage sometimes 2 growing seasons a year if you don't keep them cold for 6-8 months at a time).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All true hcarlton. I’d like to add: while reading through the fen habitat section of Schnell’s book, and after giving up growing linearis, I learned that those fen soils are rather high in Phosphorus; an essential element lacking in more typical bog soils. If I were to try again I would add crushed seashell.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sorts of good info. Thanks, guys!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the link and the info!!! Yesterday i sowed in a mix with pumice, fine quarz sand and very very few peat. Now we have some restriction a cause of coronavirus, but when we will be free to move again i'd like to go to the local river for collecting a little bit of sand for an attempt for sowing in only mineral.
    Last edited by picol; 01-04-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't just collect material out of a river, you don't know what contaminants are in it. Stick with known clean sources like pool filter sand, washed blasting abrasives, etc.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast