What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some Sundews

this time common ones
capensis.jpg

collinsinri.jpg

arie

You have tons! If I had as much as you i'd get some and pot them together in a big pot.

First one is definately Cape Sundew (D. Capensis), maybe young "wide" ones?

And I think the second is the English Sundew (D. Anglica). (i'm bad at Identifying sundews)

How old are they?
How did you propagate them?
Whats the soil mix used?
What humidity are they grown in?
What lighting do you use?
What size pot are they in?
Where do you grow them?
Why do fools fall in love?

You don't have to answer that last one.
biggrin.gif

the capensis are x rubra
the second are collinsinri
all from seeds
mix 60% peat moss 10% sphagnum 10% perliate 10% vernicolite 10% sand
50-60% humidity
pot size 3" all under flurecent light
all at my working room
first ones are 1 year second 1/2 a year and I have them also as few in one bigger pot

Nice photos as usuall Arie! The second one is Drosera collinisae, just a spelling correction
smile.gif

Just a quick note: most Droserae prefer their own space, especially the longer leaf forms like capensis: when the leaves touch there is often browning of the lamina.  There is some evidence that certain species also produce inhibitory enzymes, so it is best to seperate seedlings early on.

arie, what is x rubra a hybrid of?

Tamlin, what are inhibitory enzymes?

Tamlin, how early is "early on" as far as separating seedlings? My capensis seedlings are about 3 weeks old and the largest is not much bigger than a 1/16 of an inch across, growing its second leaf (not counting the cotyledons (I think that's what they are, so small it is hard to tell)).

First time with seeds - they seem to be slower than leaf cuttings!

Whats a cotysaurus, or cotylodon or whatever you called it?

I usually transplant after the third true leaves have been produced as the roots have not penetrated far into the medium yet and the seedlings are easily pricked out and transplant with minimal shock.

Regarding inhibitory enzymes, some plants produce enzymes that enter the substrate that actively discourage other plants, even of the same species, from growing in close proximity. This is especially true of Drosophyllum, and could also be the case with various Droserae like indica. In any case, transplanting early on reduces competition among the seedlings.

Cotyledons are the "seed leaves" which are already present in the seed, along with the endosperm which nourishes the developing cotyledons. These are usually round, and lack any distinctive form found in the true leaves. They emerge first from the seed, and are often larger in surface than the true leaves to provide more surface for photosynthesis giving the developing seedling the energy needed to grow the true leaves.

Statik,

Fools don't fall in love. Wise men fall in love!
smile.gif

Looks like I need to transplant.
smile.gif

Tamlin, Last time I talked to you I thought you meant when it produces the first 3 or so upright capensis leaves, excluding the rosetted ones. I obviously read something wrong.
biggrin.gif

Back