What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta question

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
The first four leaves it put out forked only once.  No suprise there.  The next two leaves forked once then one blade on each of those forked again.  OK, I thought, my luck I get a wierd plant.  These last two leaves have both forked twice.  Is this typical for D. binata.  This is the first time I have grown D. binata and I am curious if I should expect more of this.

this has happened to my past binata. Nothin much to worry about. U sure you dont have a multifida lol?

Thanks for the info Zach.  And much as I'd like a multifida, I hope this isn't one.  My computer room won't be big enough for the two of us
biggrin.gif
!  This binata has a tendency to give me a sloppy 'kiss' if I don't keep an eye on it when I water my other CPs that are next to it.  I don't think I could handle the 'affections' a multifida would give me in these cramped quarters
tounge.gif
.  As I ordered it from Exotic Gardens, I am pretty sure it is a binata.

Just for the record, both dichotoma and multifida are both varities  of D. binata.  There is no D. multifida.  It sounds like you have D. binata var. multifida if the lamina fork more than once.

Thanks Tamlin,
   While I haven't had this plant long enough to be sure if this is a chance occurance or is its typical growth, I suspect you are right.  The first leaves to sprout were short (4"-5"), but each succesive leaf was a little longer than the last.  The stem of both leaves that forked twice are 12''+ in length.  Just a little larger than I expected a D. binata to get. I put this down to being etoliation due to my 'energy efficient' windows filtering the light that comes through them.  But, it looks like I may be wrong and had better find another spot for this plant soon.  One where it is a little harder for it to grab me when I come into my room
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Steve,
Possibly outside if the humidity is 40% and above most of the time. Mine get to be hedges when grown outside.

That would be a good place, but can they take temps in the mid 50ºF range? Thats been about the warmest it has been here this week.

Steve,

I froze my mulifida extrema and 'Martson Dragon' solid for three days this winter and they are all growing back now. So I would say 50 isn't going to harm them much
smile.gif
Or wait a month (but given CO weather there is no guarantee, I remember frosts in June.)

Thanks Pyro,  I'll just stick it outside during the day when the weather is nice and bring it in at night for a while 'till Spring really gets here
smile.gif

Back