What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noooo

I go home for the weekend for the sole purpose of getting peat and perlite and what happens? The store talks me into vermaculite wich I now fined out is worthless for my sundews. I can't stand waiting another week to plant the seeds some nice people have given me. OH the horror of it all!

-Darcie

The agony!
If you can't wait, try sprinkling some seeds in a cup of distilled water and cover it with plastic wrap. I've used this method to germinate many Drosera seeds
smile.gif

great
smile.gif
Thanks I'll try it

Really?
Just float them on top? Plant them when they germinate?
yougottabekidding!

Nope, no kiddin! It works great, you can easily seen when they've germinated since they turn green. I don't know if this method will work on all drosera seeds, but its worked on the ones I've tried. D. capensis, D. anglica, D. intermedia, D. sessilifolia

yup, i have done that by accident once lol. I kinda missed the soil while dumping the seeds in, and a few D.capensis 'red' seeds well into my U.gibba jar. Well, i didnt know until one day i say tiny little sundews in there. Good luck-Zach

I used that method on some D. capensis seeds and got better germination than I did putting the seeds directly on soil.  The fun part is getting the sprouts back out and putting them on soil
tounge.gif

confused.gif

Try using a "disecting needle" that's what I use. A toothpick works too, but the needle is smoother and they slide off onto the soil easier.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 25 2002,05:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I used that method on some D. capensis seeds and got better germination than I did putting the seeds directly on soil.  The fun part is getting the sprouts back out and putting them on soil
tounge.gif

confused.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I know VFT germinate best in pure water too. The types I'm getting are on your list so we will see. I think I may try useing an eyedropper and/or try the discecting needle. I have both handy for when I relocate my Triops Napuli (baby tadpole shrimp).

oh! I just rememberd something funny about Sundew. The ones around here (I haven't gone to see them yet, but my prof. has) like to grow in strate water and on trees of all things! They like the ones fallen over, but weather it is alive or not doesn't seem to bother them lol. There less of them attually in the ground then in these places, weird isn't it? I am begining to think Sundew are a bit hardyer then VFTs.

Back