What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spathulata

My Drosera spathulata has lost it's dew. It has plenty of water and humidity, do they just loose their dew in the winter? Thanks! -Bryan

I ahve not found D. spatulata to be any different in winter growth with one exception: I have had Drosera spatulata Kansai occasionally form a sort of hibernacula. Sonce this is a cross of spatulata with the temperate D. rotundifolia this probably comes from the rotundifolia parent.

Some issues to consider are light and humidity. With the shorter autumn days, the plant might not be getting enough light, and forced air heat has the potential to dry the plants.

Without knowing your growing conditions, it is difficult to say.

Hi bgkast,
   Since I have had my D. Spatulata in constant growing conditions, the only time they have lost their dew was after they flowered a couple of times....almost like they needed a breather...

Tamlin, have you ever seen that with D. Spatulata, or are mine a little weird?
confused.gif

This is not uncommon. Most droserae need rest after flowering and seed set, and they often go into a sharp decline. A little babying and good nutrition soon puts that right.

Well, whad'yaknow, my instincts were right!
Thanks Tamlin,
that's what I did the first time (a little tlc and a diluted superthrive watering). Now they're flowering again....cool.
biggrin.gif

Well it did flower before it lost it's dew, but in the past when it has lost it's dew after flowering it has not taken this long to come back. For growing conditions I have it so my desk under a florecent light with a beta fish cup turned upsidedown over it as a cover.

You might try getting it closer to the tubes. These plants like a lot of light: a desk lamp may not produce enough. As long as there is new growth in the center, you need not worry about the health of the plant, other than to try to provide good conditions. Things sound pretty much close to right. I have a feeling that the issue is probably insufficient light. Puttig the plant closer to the tubes should help.

As an aside comment for something to consider: once I have gotten the seed I need to continue to propagate with, I generally remove the flower scapes. This removes the stress from the plant, and the energy that would be expended in flowering is used for more growth. I never allow weak plants flower for the same reason, especially if they are single specimens. If something is going to take the plant out, it will probably happen after flowering.

Vic Brown has said that he brings the "sensitive" summer dormant pygmy species back from dormancy (not an easy task) by removal of the scapes as they form. I will be trying this next season.

I have had the flower stalks removed for quite a while and the plant has plenty of new growth in the center. I will try putting it closer to the light.

My D. spatulata has always seemed to be most resistant to loss of dew, but recently here in Southern California we had one of our famous Santa Ana's where winds blow in from the eastern deserts as opposed to coming in from the west and passing over the Pacific ocean, causing very low humidity and brisk winds, lasting for several days. ALL of my Drosera (which I have had outdoors all year) dried up completely with no dew at all, even as I increased the water table and overhead watering. I thought I'd lose them as the dew was absent for 2 or 3 days, including all of the Cape sundews (which really surprised me), and my spatulatas looked very stressed as well (needless to say my slackii looked like it was going to die). As soon as the Santa Ana was over all of my Drosera resumed their normal dew production (slackii catching gnats now) and are doing very well in the full winter sun here. Hope this helps, Ludwig.

Didn't someone else have the same problem recently and it ended up the dew was sort of getting diluted out and falling away from the humidity being to high and then condensing on the leaves? Maybe it's the same problem.

-Darcie

I just got several kinds of Drosera in yesterday, and some have flowers with long stalks. I should probably cut them off?

Thanks
Tim

Back