What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geting bare- rooted....

Hi everyone, I got a question for anyone who could help me out? I'm geting my cape sundews in the mail. What should I expect, The guy who I got it from said that they will be shiped bare-rooted. There medium sized plants, what ever that is? Will the roots be realy long, how should I go about planting them? What size pot? How can I reduce the shiping shock? And Will those pellet peat stuff work?, the ones that you add water to. Thank I'm still learning and any info is help full to a rookie like me, who doesn't have a green thumb....
confused.gif

What bare root means is just what it sounds like. The plant will come with no pot and no soil mixture. The roots of the plant will most likely be in damp long fiber sphangnum moss, some damp peat moss, or possibly even wrapped in a damp paper towel to keep the plant from drying out during shipment. The plant and the material used to provide moisture will then be sealed in a plastic bag. If moss was used, your plant will most likely be covered in it. Use a spary bottle with distilled or RO water to spray off the debre. Your plant will also have broken leaves from shipping damage. Leaves that are broken off should be tossed out, or you could attempt leaf cuttings.

You will need to provide a pot, the smallest would be a 4" pot, with a 6" pot being even better. For soil use a 50/50 mix of peat/perlite, peat/sand, or just good old long fiber sphagnum moss. Those peat pellets will be much too small.

If you have some Superthrive you can mix up a batch and soak the roots of your new plant in it for a few minutes. This will help stimulate new root growth. Keeping the plant humid and out of direct sunlight will help the plant recover from shipping stress. I

n the past, I have placed bare root plants in a large ziplock bag to help keep the humidity up while the plant recovers. I do not seal the bag completely, but leave one end open just enough that there is some air flow. Otherwise there is risk of a fugal attack. To help reduce risk of fungal attacks, I use a fungicide when I think necessary.

Hope this helps and I am sure others have more to add.
smile.gif

Thanks for the great info Nick it wil come in handy when my plants get here.
tounge.gif

Back