What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take for Seeds to grow?

How long does it take for seeds to start to grow? I planted mine a week ago, and still nothing happening! I am doing the method with wrapping a plastic bag around it (loosely, clear plastic.)
thanks in advance,
Ash

Hi Ash,
My D. capensis seeds took about two weeks before I started to see little green shoots popping up. They seem to grow very slowly after that, but they are growing. It may take a few weeks longer, depending on the species, age of the seeds, and other conditions.

John

I am using the same method as you and on my instructions it says 6-8 weeks, i dont know if that means fully grown or just for shoots but maybe someone can tell me, I'm ne!
James

I have some d.capensis seedlings that have been growing for 4 weeks, they're now about the size of my thumbnail. I'm going to assume that your instructions of 6-8 weeks means to get a decent-sized seedling.

BTW, one they're established, they grow like crazy! They'll make up for their small growth in due time!
tounge.gif

Tricky, thats what mine said, is that the pack with the
'Grow your own Red Dragon plant' or something? I got mine from a place in the UK. ( And thats where I live, BTW)

Mine arent growing a whole lot...... They get a new baby leave like not too often..., and i've had them forever... Anyhow, measure germination in weeks, not days...

I got mine from a company called vesuter, they sold kits for abput £1:50 (about 2 dollars) there was a rack in my local garden center so i just bought it, today is the ninth day of growing!
James

It takes 4 or more weeks for the seeds to sprout. Seedlings are very slow at first , but if you give them the correct conditions they'll pick up speed.

Thanks all for the help! It's appreciated!
I can't wait, then i'll have one of each of the basic CPs ( VFT, Pitcher, Drosera, And a cobra lily&#33
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Yey!
biggrin.gif

VenusAshTrap, what exactly are you trying to germinate? Different species take different amounts of time. It also depends on how fresh the seed are and growing conditions.

Never give up on a pot, at least not for several months! Petiolaris and tuberous species may take up to 1-3 years, and other species although not as demanding of patience as these often can produce surprises. My Drosera arcturi just germinated after 4-5 months. Generally, 2 weeks is considered fast indeed, and 4-6 weeks is not uncommon. Be sure that you do not top water or the seed will be buried, and give as close to 100% humidity as possible. Growing from seed demands patience. With more information on which species you are attempting I may have more detailed advice.

I really cannot think of the name, sorry! How do you get 100% humidity? I got 60% in my pool area, but I have to keep the pot air - tight because of all the dodgy chemicals you have to put into a swimming pool. (Especially Chlorine) I have a mini - greenhouse if that is any good, I've go it in there at the moment
wink.gif

I start my Droserae seed in clear plastic cups. I use 2: the first has holes drilled (or melted) in the bottom. Water is placed in the undrilled cup, the cup with holes gets a 50/50 mix peat/sand to the rim, and sits inside the cup with the water. I aim at a moist but not soggy substrate. This whole unit is then placed inside a zip lock bag after being labeled, and is placed in a warm low light area. I check weekly for germination. After all the seed is germinated, I gradually harden off the seedlings by cracking the bag for longer and longer periods, eventually doing away with it. The cups then sit in tray watering, under twin 40 watt bulbs on shelves with a loose piece of plastic draped over the front. when there are 3 true leaves (not seedling leaves) I prick them out into permanent pots and continue with normal cultivation. I try to maintain 70% humidity for the seedlings at all times. When they are well established I try to keep the humidity as low as possible, and the light as high as possible which produces strong plants. Note I say "as possible" Keep a good eye on your plants, and do what they tell you;-) I have mine outside now between 40-80% humidity and they are now thriving. It has taken since about April of babying them to the point where they are now largely on their own.

The chlorine in the pool area air shouldn't affect the plants too much I don't think, but avoid splashing the water on them. If you have good light, you should be able to grow most Droserae at 60% humidity, the Queensland species and some of the South Africans being exceptions, at least so far.

week two ends in the capensis house, still no sign of life
James

James, when my capensis seeds sprouted they were so small that when I found some under a magnifying glass, it was difficult to locate them again the next time I looked. It is possible some might have germinated, but they may take a few days/weeks more.

John

thanks i'll keep waiting

week four is over
James

My pot has a green 'layer' of stuff on it... what should i do??? please help!

Algae at this stage is very hard to deal with. I often recommend spraying the surface, but with seed this will result in the seed being buried, so it's a no go. Another option is to reduce the humidity: again difficult as seeds need almost 100% for good germination. Where you went wrong was in giving the pots too much light before germination was seen. Once the seed is sown, pots should stay in low light until germination is noted, then moved into brighter light. Good light encourages algae. I always use distilled water for my seedling pots to avoid algae problems associated with rain water. Carry on as you have been and hope for the best. If things don't pan out at least you have learned a valuable lesson.

What does a seedling (I'm talking first sight's) look like? I think i may have a small growth as small as this period.

Back