What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Basics

I just got a D. adelae (yay
smile.gif
)!!! But I have 0 clue about sundews. Any help on care for this plant would be greatly appreciated!!!

Drosera adlelae grows best in a mix of living shagnum or long fibered shagnum, but a mix of peat and perlite works. keep in very high humdity (80%+) and keep somewhat shaded fromdirect sun. Some direct sun is ok, but too much will burn it. About 2 hours is ok. Best to keep this one in a terrarium. Water from tray method.

Thank you!!!! I got it from Petflytrap.com so I think the soil is OK. Besides light, what else should I know??? (e.g. water amounts )

Thank you VERY much!!!

I forgot to mention that my plan is to leave the clear cup on the plant to allow for maximum humidity.

THANKS!!!

-Brett

If you dont have a tank or something to put it in, the next best thing would be to leave the cup on to keep the humidity up.

Just keep it out of sun if you do this, you don't want to FRY the plant!

I grow mine in a 4 inch deep glass bowl filled with a mix of peat/pearlite/long fiber sphagnum, with a top dressing of live moss which allows the plants to root along the stem as the plant and moss grow upwards in the bowl. I keep the medium almost flooded, with water visable on the surface. Use only distilled or rain water to be safe. Mine do best in lower light, and they don't like it hot. I get the best growth with 65F days and 55F nights. High humidity is essential. I never feed the plants, as the high humidity can lead to the remains of insects getting moldy, which can quickly infect the plant. I get numerous offsets peeping out of the mound of live moss from the roots which are encouraged by the bowl to grow up to the surface.

Very easy plant to take care of. I have mine in Pure Sphagnum Moss. Living or not is fine. Low to moderate light levels are prefered. I keep mine on the wet to very wet side. I flood them every so often. But no to deep of water! YES YOU CAN FEED THEM VERY TINY BUGS! I know that they CAN OR WILL rot but if this happens (which usually does) simply just snip off the leave. I have mine in Ultrahighland Nepenthes conditions along with my N.Rajah. So I would say you can't kill D.Adelae with cool night time temps. Hope this helps!

interesting...

i keep my adelaes in a sealed terrarium at a higher temp than has beenmentioned so far in this thread...

my terrarium sits around 80 - 85 degrees during the day and mid seventies at night and is very, very humid.

the adelaes are thriving...

i keep em in trays of distlled water and feed em gnats, etc occasionally. the bugs will often go moldy but it has never hurt my plants.

the main thing ive learned about these sundews is humidity is the  key. but if i were you id get a terrarium or even just a little fish bowl to keep them in. its no fun keeping the plastic cup on top of the plant!

it would be very interesting to see pictures of Dr. adelae grown under various conditions.

my plant was grown on a south east facing window in an uncovered terrarium, temperatures between 20-30°C, bright light (only some hours of direct sun) and humidity from 50-60%

Martin

Martin, That is without a doubt THE BEST D. Adelae photo I think I have ever seen. That plant is amazing. I admire your photographic skills! Ive been reading up on close up photography so I'm going to give it a go this coming summer!

That IS a great photo. I like when you can see all the drops of dew like that. Makes the plant look like it's glowing:smile:.

Heres what your Adelae needs:
65-75F in the day and 64-55F at night
About half an inch of distilled water in the tray.
Indirect sunlight (a.k.a bright shade)

And that is a very good pic!!

IS the humidity really that important?

Back