What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera erythrorhiza

Look at this:

sc11.JPG

It is called Drosera erythrorhiza... Is it new? Rare? Hard? Easy? I had no idea this plant existed... Does anyone[/img] have any idea about what this plant is like??? ANYBODY???
confused.gif

Isnt it cool though??? Wow...

D.erythrorhiza is a tuberous rosetted drosera from Au. This plant is not very easy to grow(at least in areas that have warmer winters and spring). They are tricky to grow because they have a summer dormancy period where die down to an underground tuber and have to be kept dry. They like high humidity and low temperatures(low 70's) in the winter/spring when they resume growth.

Would they be easier in canada because of the cooler winters, or is that not good?

Are there any other small rosetted tuberous drosera that ARE easy?

Thanks!!!

They should do well if the winter/spring is cool. They are best grown outdoors under a natural photoperiod with lots of sun. I have not heard of anyone having great success with these plants under growlights(correct me if I am wrong&#33
wink.gif
. D.whittakerii is the tuberous, rosetted drosera of choice for beginners as it can tolerate a damp dormancy and I have heard that it is easier to grow than the other tuberous, rosetted droserae.

u are lucky you have an adult tuberous drosera1 all i have are 1 seedling macrantha and 1 seedling aurticualat, and im scared to give them a dry dormancy. Once your plant dies down, remove the tuber and place in a zip lock bag with some amp long fibered shagnum and place in cool drawer (as stated in savage garden). Where did u get it ne ways? good uck-Zach

Drosera erythrorhiza is a difficult subject even with a greenhouse. The main difficulty is that they require cool conditions to grow, 45-56F optimally, very high light levels, and they, like the pygmy species are ruled by photoperiod: it must be a natural one. The cool conditions are possible to generate during our winters, but the problem is (at least here in NY) there is just not enough sunlight then to maintain them. These plants are light thirsty, and they will not grow in terrarium or artifical lighting. Even my 1000 watt system will not permit cultivation. Tubers purchased from Australian dealers must be acclimated to our hemisphere before cultivation begins, as they are usually harvested at the onset of dormancy in Australia, and will not have had an adequate dormancy if immediately planted. They are beginning to grow in Australia now. If purchased, inquiry should be made as to how long the tubers have been dormant.
It is possible to cultivate some of the tuberous species under the same conditions as other tropicals: peltata and auriculata, and whittakeri are good beginner subjects, and do well for me. As for plants like bulbosa and erythrorhiza, all most of us can hope for is to appreciate the photos. Saying this, I am sure that someone has them under cultivation here in the US, but I haven't met them yet (and if they do, I'll bet dollars to donuts they have a greenhouse:)

Try these pages for more info.:
Tuberous drosera

More info

The former site contains a link to an Au weather site. Look at the temperatures in June etc.(Au seasons reversed) in areas like Brookton(one of many areas that contains tuberous droserae). Note the low midday humidity and 17C or so temperatures at 3p.m(Aus winter). As for lighting, I have seen some healthy rosetted tuberous droserae(macrophylla, whittekerii etc.) grown in relatively low lighting with a short photoperiod at CalCarnivores.

Hi,

I grow Dr erythrorhiza ssp. magma, Dr. erythrorhiza (unknown) and Dr. erythrorhiza ssp. imbicella and the last one gives me headaches...

It does not build tubers under my conditions. All of my other tuberous plants seem to build tubers except this *%$!+'# spezies...
It builds some kind of thick "rhizome". Last year I replantet this rhizome imiditaly but this year I placed it in a plastic bag...
They have to grow in winter !!!! ... grrrrrr....

I grow my plants in a cold room with a south facing window and some artificial light (~2 hrs) from a 250W high pressure sodium light but the plants don't grow very well :-(
(except the auriculata which reached more than 90cm this year).
I would highly recommend to start with "easy" tuberous Drosera like menziesii, peltata, auriculata, (whittakeri)

The ssp. magma shown in the picture is new from Lowrie and is still growing (adepting to northern hemnisphere)

Dr_erythorhiza02.jpg

maybe someone knows, to which subspezies this plant belongs :
Dr_erythorhiza01.jpg

Martin

So how do I give my seedling macrantha andd aurticulata a dry dormancy?

Back