What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Do you guys have any growing tips for a D. falconeri? All help would be appreciated as I have made a trade with pyro and could be receiving the plant any day now.

Much thankful,
Wes
smile.gif

Drosera falconeri is a heat loving species. I grow mine in a loose mix of 50/50 pearlite/lfs with an additional inch or so of the same mix, but with 1/3 laterite added as a top dressing (the latter is an optional additive that I feel contributes to both warming the medium and providing some trace elements the help with coloration). Plants need to be kept warm at night for best growth. I sit the plants in tray water, but allow the tray to stand dry for a few days until just moist while in active growth. When the medium gets too chilly, the plants tend to want to go dormant. This should be prevented if possible, as dormancy can often lead to plant loss. Bottom heat is very effective. If the plant goes dormant, I keep it just moist, no tray water. They grow better outside in a sealed terrarium in full sun AFTER a period of gradual adjustment. Plants will not self pollinate, but reasearchers have shown that leaf cuttings will work if placed in pure distilled water, or in a sphagnum slurry kept very warm to hot. Best wishes with your plant. This is my favorite Drosera species!

Thank you for the tips.  I will be growing my plant under growlights in a terrarium with some of my other plants.  I am hoping to have the temp. around 80F in the summer with around 60-70F in the winter.  Does this sound suitable?

Drosera falconeri is a heat loving species. I grow mine in a loose mix of 50/50 pearlite/lfs with an additional inch or so of the same mix, but with 1/3 laterite added as a top dressing (the latter is an optional additive that I feel contributes to both warming the medium and providing some trace elements the help with coloration).
So have about half a pot of 50/50 pearlite/lfs with another half the pot with 1/3 pearlite/laterite as a cover?

Wes

Hi Wes,

Your plan sounds good, and the topdressing is optional but you have the proportions right.

Drosera%20falconeri%20begininning%20anthesis.jpg

That is a beautiful plant. I can't wait to get mine to look like that.LOL

Oh, I forgot. What exactly is laterite and where do you get it?

Wes

The plant you will be getting has been growing indoors at about a constant 75. I use a media of LFS:perlite topped with straight LFS for the cuttings but my parent plants are growing in peat:sand topped with live sphag. They like really bright light and when happy grow like weeds.

Hi all,
Here is a picture of my Drosera falconeri.

Drosera%20falconeri.jpg

Greets from Germany (very hot about 36 degrees today)

P.S: William does your leaf cutting experiment with the Petiolaris Comlex works ?

Carnivore,

While I can't speak for William I can tell you that I have had success with leaf cuttings of falconeri at room temperature (23-25C) in seedling pots of milled sphag placed in 1-2cm of water.

My past falconeri did well in 50%LFS and 50% perlite (similar to Tamlin's mix, but without the dressing cover). I kept it warm with an undertank heater placed under the glass of the potted terrium it was in. (I used a surplus under-tank herp heater).

For lighting, i just placed the tank outdoors under the sun, so it heated up and got light. When it became quite warm inside (i placed my hand in to see how warm), i mived it to the windowsill.

Good luck with this gorgeous plant!

Back