What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating?

My D. Adelea is living La Veta Loca :cool: and it is flowering
smile.gif
. I have been trying to make it seed but I think it realizes that I am not a bee
wink.gif
mad.gif
.  Are there any tricks of the trade into pollinating Adelea's?  Do I need a male and a female Sundew to make this process work? Do I need to buy a flower plant and cross-pollinate? If I can get them to seed, I will donate the seeds to people that want them.

Thanks,

Travis

(Edited by Travis at 6
wow.gif
2 pm on April 22, 2002)

D.adelae is one sundew that rarely produces seeds. I have not heard of success in getting any seeds of adelae to germinate.

You will need two different clones to produce seed. It is seldom done due to the ease with which this plant offsets. Within 6 months you will have all the extras you could possibly need.

That is true I have about 10 different Adelea's but I thought it would be good to practice. Well I have to 2 sets of flowers so wouldn't that work? The flowers are from the same plant though? Could I use a Q-tip for cross-pollinating or what tool could I use?

If the flowers are from the same plant than they will not produce seeds. You would need flowers from two clones (not flowers from the same clone) and cross-pollinate them. I have a ton of D.adelae(exaggerated), but they are of the same clone.

Darn!

Thanks,
Travis

Back