What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPLIT!

RamPuppy

Hey all, just felt like telling you about my adventurous day.

I decided to really take a day out and work on my terrarium, clip out dead material, clean the glass, all that fun stuff...

Any how, after getting off the phone with Phil, yes, the Phil-meister actually called me today cause I made him mess his britches... (Hehh...
smile.gif
any how, I divided my Drosera Spathulata...

I noticed it had no fewer than nine large healthy crowns (You can see a month old picture of it in the user gallery) so I sharpened up a knife (So sharp I could just tap the connections and get a clean cut) and split the sucker up... Now, I have a nice 'field' of them in the center... I am hoping in a couple of months I will have a heavy carpet.

Sounds like it will be pretty, Ram. I decided to leave my spath in its clump...it looks just too good in its sticky, sparkly ball. But I have gotten 2 babies off of it. One is already a very nice size plant which I might bring to my office. The other is just a little tiny baby but starting to grow faster. That one I've already promised to a newbie from the GardenWeb (I directed her over to this forum of course...hehe) so she can get her first sundew. It's my first plant share! Hopefully there will more in the future as I'd like to be able to give to people as others have so kindly given to me. If someone is good to you, you should always pass the kindness on.

Suzanne

smile.gif
darn tootin!

Yeah, I was hesitant to break up the plant, but the prospect of having 6 or 7 look the same way in a month or two, was just to much! SO I did it!

I will be splitting up my Spathulata from Phil/Jeff as soon as it gets establihed some more. I love tropical sundews!

Yeah i must agree that it would be nice to have a dense clump of sundews...and they are hardier than any other cp in my opinion...

I don't know that I would call the sundew the hardiest CP... I think Nepenthes have much thicker leaves, larger root systems, and the leaves are waxy, so they retain water beter... sundews... well.. their leaves are paper thing... I can't keep them outside for any period of time here... actually.... if I used South Texas weather as a barometer for hardieness, then it would hands down be the sarracenias, Lucys, purps, The like...

Back