What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growth

um, being the novice I am with these plants, can I ask the average rate of growth on these little guys? If it's variable can I ask the rate of growth for plants from various regions? I'm talking little ones to, no need to worry about the big ones unless you want to satisfy my curiosity.
smile.gif
Thanks

-Darcie

P.S. I've decided to plant my seeds in Ice Cube trays. I think this may make seedling transplant less stressfull what do you think?

Ice cube trays can work, although it might make watering them all a little hard. But otherwise good idea!

You could always punch holes in the bottom of the ice-cibe trays and water on the tray method. It won't be much use for making ice with later though.

Vic

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P.S. I've decided to plant my seeds in Ice Cube trays. I think this may make seedling transplant less stressfull what do you think? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As long as you don't put them back in the freezer by mistake....
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vic Brown @ Sep. 23 2002,6:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could always punch holes in the bottom of the ice-cibe trays and water on the tray method. It won't be much use for making ice with later though.

Vic[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Already did
smile.gif
So no one knows anything about how fast these plants grow?

Growth rate depends on the plant. Did you have any in mind? Of my various Droserae, the D. burmanni grows fastest.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ Sep. 24 2002,6:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Growth rate depends on the plant.  Did you have any in mind?  Of my various Droserae, the D. burmanni grows fastest.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
lets see. I'm being given.... aliciae, spatulata(hey cool it has spit in it's name lol&#33
wink.gif
and Capensis

No experience with growing aliciae from seed, but I think all 3 plants will grow at fairly the same speed with capensis being a bit faster(capensis is a much bigger plant than aliciae or spat
tounge.gif
).

Okay cool. Um, so that would be what? A VFT takes about 5 years to reach maturity and around 3 to reach "adult" size. What type of time scail are we talking? a year to average size, 10 years? 6 months? I don't realy have an idea on sundew growth yet.

Hi Darcie,
Not too sure with the Aliciae, but the Capensis and Spatulata are supposed to reach flowering age in about 1 year, I think.

aliciae from what a i hear and the the little experience with the one that i grow is a slower growing drosera. how long it takes to materity i dont know, but i do know they do grow slower than many other sundews.

cheers,

Joel

I'm not sure, but I think I heard somewhere aliciae takes about two years to mature. I haven't tried them from seed yet, I obtained mine as near-mature plants.

Well I guess I'll just have to be surprised! I'm getting a variety of seeds so it will be interesting to see the differnces in them as they mature. A year or two is faster then I expected so I'm happy about that too.

Aliciae is slow. Mine are flowering now at 2 yrs. of age. The other species mature in about 8-9 mos.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 27 2002,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aliciae is slow.  Mine are flowering now at 2 yrs. of age.   The other species mature in about 8-9 mos.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
okay kewl
smile.gif
Trust me, two years isn't slow when your used to VFT, lol! Mine is probubly 4 years old (going bye size at perchase and time I've had it) leaf cutting and it still hasn't grown up yet. I thought for sure it would flower this year but oh no, it just upped it's leaf dencity again (At peak this year it had 30 traps on one rosset) I figure next year mabey
wink.gif
It was a little guy when I got it, ah yes, I remember it well, a little over two inches around and a total of 11 traps.
wink.gif

Back