What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata slowing growth

Hello all...
Several months ago, I got a Drosera binata from Petflytrap.

I managed to fit this sprawling plant into my terrarium, where the humidity is kept very high (80% or so). It is under flourecent lights for about 15 hours per day (2 grow lights, 2 cool white)

The plant, as described, put up many new tenicles. After some time though, the new tenticles started to turn black (usually when coming in contact with the terrarium side) The growth has now stoped, and it has been relativly stagnent for several weeks. It has not put up new growth, and the old growth isn't looking too healthy.

I keep the soil moist, and my other sundew (spathulata) is doing fine. I'm usually a Nep guy, and do well with those. I just don't seem to have sundew luck.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in any good directions. Could the roots be rotting? Should I take it out of the terrarium to "dry out". Should I just wait it out?

---Lane

This plant enjoys temperate rather than tropical conditions. Not sure if you have recently transplanted it and it is in a bit of shock but really suspect that that the conditions might be a tad too warm and muggy. Might enjoy life better outside where it can do the dormant thing.
Not too unusual for a plant to chill for a while when introduced to new environment so that's what might be going on
confused.gif

Hope didn't confuse you too much
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I keep the soil moist, and my other sundew (spathulata) is doing fine[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have my binata on the tray system, and it seems to work well. Also, I keep the temp below 85 (ususally below 80).

I just mention this because, by your description, it almost sounds like the soil isn't wet enough, not the other way around.
confused.gif

I think the plant is probably responding to the seasonal flux and probable lack of sufficient light. These plants do not take well to long term terrarium culture, esp. when good sized, and are best grown outside. If you can't provide sunlight, it may be best for the plant to have a winter rest under temperate conditions: cold and moist, but not wet. The plant will return to growth when conditions are more suited to its needs.

I have the same thing going on with my binata. I guess it wants to sleep. Is it too early?

For me they want to go dormant under cool conditions. I am currently encouraging my plants to go dormant since I have lost the HID lighting that suited them last winter. My plants are shrubs, and there is no way I can provide the energy they need. Rather than have them grow weak under insufficient light, I am trying to conserve the reserves they have bulit up. I don't think this is too early for dormancy. If you elect to go this route, try to keep your plants in the middle 40's. They are marginally frost tolerant and should return with good vigor in the spring when conditions are warmer.

I grow a nice sized binata in a 12" high terrarium with four, 48" flourecent daylight tubes over it, along with some other fork leaved sundews. They all grow fast, and show their full potential for colors. The temps stay in the 70's, and my binata has not shown signs of slowing down, and wanting to go dormant.

Back