What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any one know how to grow d.rotundifolia?

Just post any instructions on how to grow D. Rotundifolia. I've heard they are not to hard, but i still dont want to blow it.
confused.gif

Hi,

grow this one like pretty much any other temperate species:

Wet peat/perlite, cold winters (it will go into dormancy and form a hybernicula, or winter bud) and warm summers. It likes plenty of light and will often turn red if you give it enough.

hope this helps. It's a great species and easy to grow, hope you have fun with this one.

-noah

I have hear that the like to grow in shagnum moss and low pots. Best regards Bjørn

Hi Bjorn

If you are growing this species from seed you will get much better germination if you give the seeds a cold stratification. Sow the seeds on peat/sand (3:1) you can substitute perlite for the sand if you like, and keep wet and cold for a couple of months. The easiest way to do this in Norway is to place the pots outside and let nature take it's course. I would recommend giving the pots some shelter so that the tiny seeds are not washed away by rain or snow, or blown away by the wind. A sheltered porch, unheated garage or shed is ideal. The seed will germinate in spring as temperatures and light increase.

If you already have plants, they should already be dormant buds (hiburnaculas) and be fine outside over the winter. If your plants are indoors and still in growth it's too late to put them outside now, the sudden change in climate will kill them. You should put them somewhere cool and hope they survive. I've no experience of trying to over-winter D. rotundifolia without letting it go dormant naturally.

Cheers

Vic

I have not been able to overwinter this temperate species other than in natural conditions. It needs a winter dormancy below or at freezing temps. or the hibernacula tries to grow, unlike filiformis or intermedia which seems to be more photoperiod oriented than actually requiring freezing conditions.

Hi All,

I had two d. rotundifolia form hybernicula last winter, even though here in souther CA we only get 3 or 4 light frosts all winter. I was growing them outdoors in moist conditions. So maybe cold temps are needed but not freezing
smile.gif
... but I can see what you are trying to say... give it cold for it's dormancy period.

-noah

Different populations probably do have different requirements. The Californian populations are probably less demanding of the "freeze" than the ones here in N.Y. Interestingly, even Ivan Snyder's 'Evergrow' formed hibernacula for me, likely due to my natural photoperiod, but they remain in continual growth if the photoperiod is set to long days, and apparently do not suffer for it.

Back