What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a name?

I am looking for the sundew that wraps around its prey. I am not sure if all cape sundews wrap there prey like andaconda. I know I saw someone post a cape sundew but I would like know were you can order one on the web?

Thanks,
Travis

I have many cape sundews (cuz they spread like weeds, even into other pots!) and mine seem to exhibit a lot of movement under proper conditions. As to where you can acquire some of the plants online you could try californiacarnivores.com (that is where I have gotten all my plants besides ones bought at a local nursery and the butterwort I won from this site). I know it isnt fair to post other CP sellers on this site but I don't think this site sells the plants Travis wants.

cape sundews do wrap around its prey, so its pretty cool! I have a bunch for trade or sale, and petflytrap also has other drosera for sale! Message me to work something out (like a trade or sale)< im not trying to advertise against pft as always..just to let you guys know..im just trying to help. Because it seems californiacarnivores is kinda pricey. >

They are easy to get a hold of. Don't sweat trying to find someone. Try cook's carnivors...

california carnivores is very pricey you get a small plant and all plants are &#367.50+. Small plant big pot

Certain plants are large at California Carnivores. Cape sundews I saw there 2 years ago were 3"-4" diameter each with 2 plants in one pot. And I got a S.Rubra ssp Rubra that was very colorful about 5" tall with so many growing points I lost my count when I tried counting. They grew much larger the following year (one inch mouths), and some drosera sprouted out nowhere! I guess they got stratified over that winter. Unfortunatly the plant died from fungus during the following winter
sad.gif

Ceph, your from San Francisco, you should visit California Carnivores after the place is done moving. It'll probably only take about an hour or so drive, took me about an hour and a half from Pleasant Hill. I plan to visit again this summer to see the new greenhouse and build my collection of 6 plants.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 9
wow.gif
4 pm on April 18, 2002)

If you order from B-Dean (Cook's) be prepared for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG wait and poor response to email. Customer service ain't his forte.

Suzanne

Travis, if you want a large cape sundew, try Home Depot.  California Carnivores is definitely a pricey place to buy plants from.  Better yet, post this in the "trade" forum on this site.  The cape sundew grows like a weed and I'm sure a lot of us (myself not included, yet) would be more than happy to part with a couple of these plants.

D.Capensis at Home Depot here are yucky. &#365 for 2" diameter plant. The CC plants I saw looked a bazillion times better, double the size, and 2 plants per pot &#367.50.

Oh yah, Just wanted to share a nice photo of a pot full of D.Capensis with what I think is 'Marston Dragon' at CC. (Photo from http://www.illusionary.com/~dglidden/cp/darlingtonia/)
cc-D-extrema.jpg

(Edited by Statik2426 at 12:54 pm on April 19, 2002)

Thanks for the replies. I really want to get a Cape Sundew.  Unfortunately my vehicle just got out of the shop and coast me 850 bucks in repairs (OUCH!!).  I will see how much money I can cough (hack, hack, hack..) up for a Cape sundew.  Give until Monday 4/22 and I tell you what I can work out for either a trade or purchasing a Cape Sundew.  I will post it on the Trading forum. You people are GREAT.

All I have to say is "Holy shnikes Statik2426 that is one awesome cape sundew (That is what I am assuming it is).

Thank you very much,

Travis

(Edited by Travis at 12:17 pm on April 19, 2002)

Statik2426,

The pic of the Drosera is D.binata var. multifida 'Extrema':)

Back