What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Adelae

Vote Tuyen Thi  off of our "island"?!!? - By request of a moderator (or two..

• Yes... kick him off and never let him back on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspend him yet again

• No, leave him be, he's harmless

• Total voters
I am about to get a clump of D. adelae bareroot and I don't know what mixture to use. I know that LF sphagnum is best but I don't have anymore unless take a visit to CC (they are in the middle of a move, Exotic Gardens knows what thats like). I have a lot of peat moss and sand handy, if I used peat how many parts of whatever shoulds be used? How does peat compare to using LF sphagnum?
Thank You! Joe

(Edited by Statik2426 at 12:34 pm on May 25, 2002)

I'm using 50/50 peat/perlite, I'm guessing 50/50 peat/sand would work as well. Mine seems to be quite happy... new babies growing.

Hi Joe,

I've had my plant/plantlets in 50/50 peat moss/sand for over two years and it has worked out fine. I repotted it in a bigger pot some weeks ago (same mix) and both the mother plant and the planlets are looking better than ever.

Regards,

Christer

Thanks people...
I got worried because so many people say that LF sphagnum is best. But Nobody ever siad why!

Hi Statik

I used to use peat/sand but didn't have much success. I switched to sphagnum and they were happier. But they aren't in live sphagnum, just the dried that you can get in bags. Mine seem to prefer the more airy sphagnum.

Good luck...adelae have been difficult for me. They do great, they do terrible, then great, then terrible...don't know why.
sad.gif

suzanne

Plantakiss, Thats what LF Sphagnum is: Long Fibered Sphagnum. As compared to milled sphagnum which is regular dried sphagnum crumbled up.

ahh man... I had my hopes up that my plants are going to do 100% in the peat/sand, but now i'm back to thinking that they won't do so well as they can.
sad.gif

What does Exotic Gardens grow thier plants in? If they grow them in peat, I will have higher hopes because this place has wonderful plants!

I grow my D. Aladae in 100% peat moss.

well, mine at like 80 peat moss and 20 perlite

you can use 80 peat moss/10 perlite/10 sand

itll work out good, but peatmoss is good for drosera almost all kinds as far as im concerned, all my drosera are in peat/perlite mix

What kind of temperature do D. adelaes like?  Mine is growing all right (in other words, not dying), but each leaf seems to be smaller than the last, and still no dew.  Leaves are green, and the plant is getting to look like a sparse Christmas tree.  The humidity has to be incredibly high, as it is in the Nepenthes terrarium.  I even have an extra "wall" made from a clear plastic 2-liter bottle around it, to keep the local humidity higher.  It is almost going to rain in there!

Could it be too hot?  Could it be getting too much light?  These are the only things I can think of.

Thanks,
John

(Edited by jaje61 at 11:21 am on May 26, 2002)

Drosera adelae prefers (at least in my culture of it) cool conditions and lower light. I have mine at the end of a (2) 40 watt tube shoplight, about 4 or 5 inches from the bulbs, in pure live sphagnum, in a glass bowl undrained. Max day temp 70F, down to 60 or lower at night, 100% humidity. Even with perfect conditions, the plants sometimes decline, esp. after flowering. New pups quickly grow to replace and weak plants as the curved bowl encourages offsets from the roots which push up into the growing moss. Other growers have different approaches, but this works well for me. Oh, and I use only distilled or clean rainwater. Hope this helps.

Statik....DUH....I know what LF sphagnum is. lol
smile.gif
I knew that long before I grew CPs. Other plants like LF sphagnum moss as well. I was only pointing out that I use the dried as opposed to live as many people use live moss. I have live in some pots but since I can't get that around here, I mostly use the dried. And I wish I could find milled...so I have to "mill" my own.

Thanks, Tamlin
I think my light and humidity are okay, but my temperature must be around 85F. Does their shady habitat in Queensland make adelae less warmth-loving than other tropical species? At any rate I am going to try putting it in another, more cooler area.

Thanks again!

Sorry PlantAKiss, I thought everyone knew what it was. But recently I was talking to somebody who runs a CP nursery (can't say who it is, it'll make him look bad... BUT IT'S NOT this place!) and he didn't know the difference!

John,

Never having walked the Queensland forests I can't say with authority that conditions there are "cool", but it stands to reason that woodlands will be cooler places generally. I think 85F is way too hot for this species, mine seem to show the best growth below 70F (hard to do in the summer, but in winter I get these conditions). I hope to visit Australia someday in the near future so maybe I will find out firsthand!

That would be a great trip for a CP enthusiast - I know they have many species there, and I know the climate must vary greatly, being such a big place. I'd love to go someday also. Thanks again.

Back