What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew species

OK, so i have a question. Im 15 years old, and so there isnt a whole lot of room in the family fridge for dormant sundews,??? so i was hoping that somebody could tell me some sundew species that i can grow year round in my terreriuml.
smile.gif

Hey,
      I hear you, im 13 and I only have a 5'' by 4'' space in my fridge, I grow D. capensis year round. Im not totally sure about all the others though.... just D. capensis.
                                       Kevin

There are plenty of Drosera that don't require dormancy!

In your terrarium, how much control do you have over ventilation, intensity of light, heating, and cooling?

Some good tropical, non-dormant, easy and self seeding species are Drosera: capensis, dielsiana, natalensis, aliciae, burmannii, nidiformis, madagascariensis, anglica tropical. Some that do not self seed but do well in terraria are Drosera: adelae, prolifera, schizandra, hamiltonii and binata (while still small).

Other possibilities include the rare Brasilian species if you can provide cooler conditions and a good night time drop in temperature year round.

The only species that you would have problems with are the N.A. temperate, South African winter growers, Australian tuberous and pygmy species, and there are ways to grow even these which require a little more than terrarium culture can typically provide.

Hope this helps, and good growing. In the coming months I will be offering a variety of free seed, so stay tuned, and Good Growing to you!

whats the name of the brazilian sundew? I might want to gro it!

Regarding the Brasilian species: a good beginner plant is Drosera montana var montana or D. montana var. tomentosa. D. graminifolia seems easy enough, as is D. sessilifolia (the burmannii of South America). I believe the hardest part of growing the South American species is finding the seeds, and having them be accurate as to ID!

Back