What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery sundews

Okay, remember my mixed up seeds back in October?  Well, the seedlings are now a good size and it looks like I have 3 spiecies.  2 of the speicies are fairly large, about the size of a quarter each.  However, the thrid, my spindley red/magenta ones have proven to be very very different.  They grew into... well, nothing.  That is to say, their growth has been almost 0.  They are dewy, well colored and 1cm in diameter o_O  They are growing in the same pot as the larger dews and are the same age.  I am at a compleat loss as to what these tiney plants are.  I don't remember being sent any uncommon or slow growing seed, so this is an extra surprise.  In general, these dews have a central staulk and the leaves mushroom off the top of this (rather then the staulk being a rhysome underground from wich a rosset forms like my others).  The shape of the leaves are most like that of spatulata.  Does anyone have any idea of what these things could possibly be?  I would submit a photo, but they are so small a good image is nearly impossible to get.  Any ideas are welcome, thanks.

Possibilities include Drosera intermedia, D. nidiformis, D. collinsiae, D. capillaris long arm form, D. capensis. These are the most likely candidates. Other caulescent species which are occasionally encountered in collections are D. roraimae, D. communis, D. sp emas, D. chrysolepsis, D. affinis, D. madagascariensis, D. glabripes.

Thanks Tamlin! I'll be sure to look into those. I also now suspect one of the super tiney forms of Spatulata because two people sent me seed. One seed batch I know to be 2 inch adults the other is a compleat mystery (I know spatulata don't usually have staulks, but these are so small, I'm not surtain if it is an illution like on my very small seedlings) However, it is quite ovious now that the little plants are well beyond the seedling phase. I also now suspect they may be a larger spiecies that perhaps needs special growing conditions. Thank you so much for the list Tamlin, I'll go do extra research on them ASAP. Oh and I can safely put Capensis on the no list, I have lots of those growing and they are already as big/bigger then these guys and they are only from december.

-Darcie

This will be my little check off list.  I'll just Edit it as I finesh looking at each plant.  Let the countdown begin!
smile.gif
(It's very exciting, oh yah and my other two spiecies are Aliciea(did I transpose something)-Remeber, this is the one seed set I sprouted in water and then planted, I now have 2 lovely ones.  And... some sort of Spatulata, I have 3 of them and they fit the parental plants description so I am dealing with a true breeding varient of some sort or another.

Type 3, under investigation:
Drosera intermedia-No, definitly not
D. nidiformis- No
D. collinsiae-no
D. capillaris long arm form-No
D. capensis-No
D. roraimae-No
D. communis-No
D. sp emas-No
D. chrysolepsis- No
D. affinis-No
D. madagascariensis-no
D. glabripes-Couldn't find photo
....My list from remembering what I could have tossed in
D. Rotundifolia- this would be really weird if that is what it is, lol(been trying to stratify and sprout forever)

Edit: Forget listing sorces, too many awsome galleries have sprung up, lol

Darcie,
Might they be a tuberous type? I have D. auriculata seedlings that never formed a ground rosette (i'm guessing do to growing stress at this point), they popped up, stopped growing for a while, looked like they shrank, died off, and came back again. If you're lucky, maybe you have a pygmy species?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ May 24 2003,12:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie,
    Might they be a tuberous type?  I have D. auriculata seedlings that never formed a ground rosette (i'm guessing do to growing stress at this point), they popped up, stopped growing for a while, looked like they shrank, died off, and came back again.  If you're lucky, maybe you have a pygmy species?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actaully, I was sort of wondering about them being tuberious myself. I don't think they are Pygmy because they are seed plants and took a long long time to reach the size that they have. I'm still hard at work on the search though
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ May 23 2003,1:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think they are Pygmy because they are seed plants and took a long long time to reach the size that they have.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehe, could you explain this a little more? I don't quite get ya.
tounge.gif

*we need a lightbulb icon...anyway*

Okay, so the ovious choices are, well, not them.  However, I think I can use the first list of ideas to better discribe the plants I have
smile.gif
 This is a list of plant facts that may help us figure these little guys out.  I'm going to get them and describe every single thing about them I can.

#1. the main issue with plants on the above list is leaf shape, the plants in question do not have nearly as long or as thin of petiols.

#2. AGE: The seeds were planted early october and had all sprouted by the end of October making these plants about 7 months old

#3.  GROWTH:  All seedlings looked very similar excepting coloration and slight size differences untill about two months ago when several quickly began out growing the others.  2 of these plants are now IDable as Aliciea and the other 3 are some form of Spatulata.  

#4.  SIZE:  The Aliciea are 2cm and 1.5cm in diameter and growing slightly more upright then usual because I forgot to turn the grow light on for a few days
tounge.gif

The Spatulata are 3cm, 2cm and 1.5cm in diameter and also a bit more upright then usual because I was a dork.

The Mystery Dews in question are 5mm, 3mm, 5mm, 3mm, 5mm and 3mm in diameter(so my eyeballing was a bit off).

#5. Leaf and petiol sizes:
Aliciea have 3mm and 2mm leaves at the widest point.  The largest leaves in length are 1cm and 7mm.  Glands are about 2mm in length average on both plants
Spatulata's widest part is 3.5mm, 3.5mm and 3mm.  The leaf is round so Add the width to the petiol length if you want that size, anyways the petiols are 1.2cm, 1cm and .7cm.  The glands are about 2-3mm on all three plants

The Mystery dews also have flat round leaves and their widths are 1mm, 1.25mm, 1mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm, and 1mm.  Their petiols are 1mm, 2mm, 1mm, 1mm 1.5mm, and 1mm in length. Glands are about .5-1mm on all plants

#6.  Color:  All plants are usally under a single floresent fishtank bulb.  Other plants next to these are very well colored such as my now red, red Dragon. (for conparison)  The light did get left off for a few days so color may not be the best.

Alicieas are both the same color.  A slghtly bronzey or yellowy green with red glands on clear staulks.
The Spatulata are more of a grass/vft green again with red glands on clear staulks on one individual and clear glands on the other two, however, I know from experience all 3 can turn red.

Despite loss of light, the mystery dews remain colorfull as ever!  Younger leaves are a light bright spring green, almost white on some occations.  Older leaves and petiols range from baby pink to the brightest magenta that any plant could hope to produce without turning blood red.  Staulk like thingy is the brightest with some almost reaching blood red in color.
EDIT: Glands and gland staulks are magenta like the stem.

#7: Growth pattern and hair:
Aliciea has a thick rosset-like center were leaves push up, unroll and peal back like a banana.  Not a lot of ovious hair on the plant, but glands flow over all of the leaves upper surfice inclueding the petiol.  Glands are evenly dispersed and curve sligtly upwards when growing on the edges.  
Statulata is also rossetted with thick core.  However, it's petiols shoot up out of the center and then swell and unfold the leaf befor curling back.  Their is a small amount of white around the growth points.  Glands are only present on the leaf "blade" and not on the petiol.  Their are two layers of glands on the edges, one that curls down and one that curls up.

The mystery dews are suspended on thin wirey staulks that eather reach up or sprawl along the ground the length of these staulks are .5cm, .4cm, .5cm .7cm, 1cm and .5cm in length. Older dead/dewless leaves apear in an alternating pattern untill the last 3mm or so of the staulk where they start forming a rosset.  Some rossets have a dead rossetted layer underneith the active one.  New layers of leaves seem to always be made in sets of three, with three little green nubs forming the the center of the crown and unrolling into the leaves in unisin.  No sign of hair on the plant, glands are found only on "blade" portion of the leaf.  Glands are sparse, but more apparent and longer along the edges which they stick parralell out of.
Edit: Picture a Mayapple and you'll get the general look of the the drooping umbrella of leaves on these plants.

#7.  Notes:  The Mystery dews seem very suseptable to a white web-like fungi that invaded my pot a long time ago.  While it doesn't bother the other two species much EDIT:(they actually seem to be able to digest the fungi with their glands), I find myself constently having to remove it from my smaller mysteries.  Because of this, most of the small plants do not have dew at the moment EDIT:(rubbing alcohal defuncts glands).  I intend to pick up some clearies(sp?) to deal with it once and for all, but in case fungi suseptablity is an indicator, I thought I'd mention it (the fungi doesn't kill them, just interfears with their overall health I think.

Okay, their.  I don't know what else I could possibly do to describe them.  So, any thoughts
smile.gif

Here is a pic of D. glabripes. Just thought it might help.

dglab01.jpg

Where I found it?? Good ol' Google!

-Ryan

Thanks. I'm going to start picture browsing soon. That sundew can be safely removed from the possibility list. On to the photo album pages!

Back