What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting Sundews

How do you transplant Sundews with out wrecking all the leaves

Travis,

Very carefully
smile.gif
(sorry I just had to be a wise ***)

Actually that is pretty close to the truth. When ever you repot a plant there will always be a little damage so just take it slow and easy and the plant should recover fast enough that it won't matter

Pyro

If it has a good root system that clings to the dirt well you can split your fingers apart and then place them as close as can to the plant as you can. Then just turn the pot over most of the dirt should slide out and the plant shuold have a nice ball of dirt around its roots. Stick the plant and the ball of dirt into the new pot. You can only do this with medium sized plants though. You may still get the leaves dirty, but this method causes the least amount of shock.

When I transplant ANY plant, I try to keep as much soil around the root as I can. I get the new pot ready and make a hole in the potting medium about the size I expect the root ball to be and then carefully lift the plant out with a spoon (or spade depending on size of plant). I just add soil to fill in any gaps. I don't pack the soil down too much but let it settle down when watered. A shot of Superthrive couldn't hurt...its supposed to help root shock. If I do get soil on a plant I just use a sprayer bottle with distilled water and spritz the dirt off. It will wash the dew off but the plant will produce more.

Suzanne

If you have 2 sundews in a pot what would be th ebest way to transplant then into 2 different pots??

Are you sure they really need transplanting: These plants often grow in colonies, especially those that produce offsets, like aliciae. If you wish to divide them, take the root ball out of the pot like Tristan says. With your fingers close to the base of the 2 rosettes, gently begin to separate the ball, by pulling with a gentle wiggeling motion in opposite directions. Alternatively, the mix can be sloshed away from the rosettes in a bucket of rainwater until the roots are exposed. Untangle the roots by either method, and repot into new containers. Most Drosera will transplant without trouble by just gently pullng them apart, being careful not to break the roots although they will stand up to a little damage. Put the pots in a plastic bag for a week or so, keep warm and in good light, and remove from the bag when dew appears. Which species are you dividing?

Hi Travis,

To answer your original question they way not to wreck the leaves too much is to use a pair of large forceps, like 8" or so. With these, grasp the baste of the plant and gently pull the plant out of the already loosened soil mix. This gives them a little shock but you end up with an almost perfect looking plant afterwards. Also, keep the plant well watered immediately after transplant.

Noah

This is AWESOME!...I am sure "awesome" has been replaced by another word but it will do.  Right now I have 6 Sundews (Drosera adelae) in one 3 inch pot plus one is flowering.  So how do you know when to transplant? Do you go by how the plant is doing (if it is doing good leave it or if it is doing bad change the soil) or do you go by what the soil looks like in the pot? For me I believe in not touching a good thing but after all I do have six Sundews in one 3 inch pot.

Thanks,
Trav

(Edited by Travis at 9:36 pm on Mar. 19, 2002)

Yes Travis, awsome has been replaced by the word "awesome" (notice spelling
smile.gif
) I think the new term is actually "straight up" but I may be wrong. I only first heard the term yesterday.

I split sundews if I want to trade or they are getting crowded. Most plants grow larger when they have room to grow, sundews are no exception. So its really up to you
smile.gif

Noah

Oops, thank goodness for thee edit key. :-}=

Back