What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crossing Drosera

schloaty

Staff member
Anyone know if D.Capensis and D.Spatulata can be successfully crossed? Anyone know if it's worth the effort?
Mine are flowering (when are they not?
wink.gif
), and I kinda want to try it out.

Hmm...i never heard of that cross before, but i have heard/seen capensis X alicaie.

Yes, I have seen D. capensis x spatulata hybrid being sold recently.

It can be made fertile can it not, By using the chemical mentioned in the article Tamlin posted?

joel
biggrin.gif

Tamlin have you used colchicine yet? Has any body else here used it? Do you know of a company that sells it?

Thanks

Joel
biggrin.gif

I have no experience with this form of experimentation, but if you are interested I suggest you contact Ivan Snyder regarding this, as he is Da Man. You should be able to reach him through the LACPS, of which he is president.

Colchicine is a powerful mutagen, and should be treated with all the respect a deadly poision deserves including prior education on the health risks and proper methods of handling it. It's serious stuff.

Tamlin isn't kidding, colchicine is EXTREMELY dangerous, if you don't have a lab and equipment, then stay very far away from it. The ICPS website has some information on it also.

I'm not sure if it is one, but most growth hormones, or other things that make plants stuff happen is a carconogenic... Or sumthin like that... It causes cancer - think about it... It promots growth of cells, and most likely not anything too healthy for animal cells... I dunno Just me being me... Smack me if i'm wrong.
tounge.gif

Parasuco - yes, you are completely correct, it causes cancer, at extremely low doses. For colchicine, that is actually an understatement, it is more likely to be fatal. It is one of those chemicals that if you make a mistake with, you don't get a second chance, at all
sad.gif

Quite frankly, the stuff scares me. I would never experiment with it, or even live near anyone who does. Definitely something for a proffessional in a controlled lab only.

Here is the ICPS warning:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291ColchHaz.htm

and a bit on Ivan Snyder's experiments here:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291ColchHaz.htm

i have been amply warned
biggrin.gif

now does any body know of a site that has the safety procedures to deal with colchicine.

Thanks

Joel

Back