Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice, tough sundew....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would be a good sundew, for hot, bright and dry conditions? It would have to be a pretty tough plant, relatively large and able to have dew on the tentacles in low humidity conditions. D. capensis I've tried and it looses the dew on the leaves, D.binata seems a bit more durable but not enough.

Any ideas?

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hot are we talking about here? Petiolaris complex droserae thrive in hot(100F+) conditions with warm nights, full sun, and 40%+ humidity. Petiolaris complex droserae like D.paradoxa and petiolaris are not too difficult to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats tough if even capensis and binata couldnt cut it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't grow capensis, about the only hope are the petiolaris plants. Just how low a humidity are we talking here? Capensis does fine at 40%......Perhaps a period of slower acclimation might help? The pygmy species are also very tolerant of low humidity and might be worth a shot.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want something to go with my succulent collection, I grow them under intense lights and it gets quite hot and dry.

I'll try one of the suggested species and see how it does.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want something to go with my succulent collection, I grow them under intense lights and it gets quite hot and dry.[/QUOTE]

For the most, that's not going to work. You are taking a plant which lives in a humid and (most likely) wet environment, and putting it in a desert condition. It is sort of like putting a fish out of water.

Could you successfully grow a cactus in bog-like conditions? I don't think so. The same applies here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not kidding: You might want to have one made out of glass or ceramic? Would need no water or humidity. I have thought of this myself. Every time I see those miniature figures sculpted of glass I think of how a CP created the same way would be charming and beautiful.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, many droserae respond to extreme light conditions very well. The issue will be to provide humidity without cooking the plants. If they are grow from seedlings this might not be a problem, providing that they are hardened off slowly. I grew Drosera aliciae, binata, capensis (all varieites), coccicaulis, dielsiana, spatulata Ahiapara, nidiformis and burmannii in a deep bin (tray watered) which sat in full sun with a glass cover totally sealing the bin, with maybe 3 inches between glass and substrate last summer. Full sun (New York) all day long. The plants thrived like no other I have ever grown. I think the high humidity allowed for the higher temperatures. Plants were occasionally submerged for days after rain too! I think hardening off the seedlings well and fully before introduction to such harsh conditions is mandatory, but some experimentation seems to be in order. Droserae are high light plants, just as succulents are. Keep us posted as to your results: experiments are useless to others if not reported. Thanks!
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast