What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help help help...

schloaty

Staff member
It's all turning brown and wilting!  There's plenty of humidity, not too much sun (I don't think....4-5 hours).  It flowered just fine, and now it's bone dry, despite the humidity...What am I doing wrong?  Do they need it really warm?  The weather's been pretty changeable....
confused.gif

confused.gif

mad.gif

sad.gif

Could be the sun, this species tends to like it on the dark side. Flowering could have sapped a little of its strength too. What are your full conditions? It'll help us to pin down what is happening

Pyro,
My full conditions:

Sun: 4-5 hours

Humidity: Terrarium, Very humid (don't have a number, but I feel safe saying over 80%)

Water: Tray method

Temp: Fluxuates, nights have gotten pretty chilly, in the 50's every now and then. Although sometimes it doesn't go below 80.
wow.gif

Soil: still in the pot I bought it in (LPOH)

Does this help?

How long ago did you buy it? It might be a soil issue. These guys tend to do best in pure sphag so you might want to consider a repot. The humidity sounds good. Light might be too bright but I mentioned that. The temp worries me. These guys come from a tropical area and generally do best if kept above 60. I don't think a breif drop to 50 would hurt them but repeated drops could make them slide.

Thanks Pyro,
I will re-pot and bring inside. I have a place that gets more light, but it's not direct sun, so it shouldn't burn.

You Rock!
biggrin.gif

Try for a spot that gets no direct light but still has good light.

Hope it recovers fast for you

The plants are pretty hardE, mine came back after it looked the grim reapper was about to grab it. Sometimes if you change the enivorment a little and bring it back to the old enviroment it will recover.

travis

Adelae often dies back after flowering. Just continue with the basic care you are giving the plant. Repotting is a good idea, there is always a chance the substrate has been contaminated with mineral salts, esp. if distilled or rain water aren't being used. The plant should regrow offsets from the roots. Mine has pretty much died back after flowering all spring: the process exhausts the plant, but already new offsets are appearing, so it will only be a matter of time. I have found the plants like cool conditions for me, so the cool nights are actually a plus. I never expose my plants to sunlight, but a friend in Brazil grows his in full sun in their hot, hot summer. The plants grown in this way are smaller, darker and hardier. The plant responds to many different conditions. It really hates drying out, even briefly, so keep it very wet. Humidity seems a secondary issue to this: I have plants under 50% humidity that are doing just fine. I think the most critical factors for this species are wet conditions, not too hot, and not too bright all at once. Good luck.

HiSchloaty

Sometimes I think adelae and binatas will be the death of me.  One minute my adelae look spectacular and the next they look horrible.  And yet no conditions change...they just seem to have "moods".  This one bloomed and was so beautiful...and afterwards did look quite poorly. But look at it now (see pic).
smile.gif
  I can't take credit for it though...it was raised by someone far more talented than myself...{arching a brow in Tamlin's direction...}

If you were a bug, would you like to step into that sticky mess??  
wow.gif
 (Sorry for the large photo, I don't usually post them this big).  But such a beauty!

adelae7-02RS.jpg

Hang in there with your plant Schloaty...they do often come back from such dire appearance and will shock you.

Suzanne

Suzanne,

Your D. adelae are the BEST
biggrin.gif
I hope my could turn out like yours.

I agree with you about them being the death of me too. My mommy D. adelae died on me with no apparent reason. The babies how ever survived and thrived in the same growing conditions. What's a CP grower to do about that
wow.gif
. Save the babies and kill the mother...or risk killing the babies to save the mother
confused.gif
sad.gif

Now...some of the babies are doing well and others are showing signs of browning and wilting. It's like a crap shoot with this guys.

Plantakiss, I can't see your pic for some reason
sad.gif

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice/help. I though it was me being a bad dad....But I guess, from what I read, that these guys can be a pain in the <choice of body part here>.

Well, to my Adelea:
tounge.gif
mad.gif
tounge.gif

Get well soon....brat
biggrin.gif

Mine died (or sounded like what happend to you) so I cut it in half, and a new shoot came from the side & is growing rapidly.
Cole

Cut it in half? You mean you just snipped off the top?!?
confused.gif

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Er...I may wait until it's a little more dire before I try that one....
wow.gif
wow.gif

Schloaty, I kept waiting for my D. adelae to grow and here and there changed conditions but I think I was too late because it eventually started disintegrating. Like you, I was wary of cutting or tearing the plant apart, but at last it made the decision for me and I could see it wasn't going to make it.

So... having had some success with leaf cuttings before, I took the final two leaves (still green and healthy looking but lacking dew) which just fell apart, and placed them on top of the sphagnum, making sure they contacted it underneath. One leaf turned brown and disintegrated, and the other started doing the same, but stopped leaving about a quarter of an inch leaf tip and from that I have a new sprout coming out!!! I think this baby actually LIKES my growing conditions!

This happened before with a D. spatulata. I think plants will grow better in certain conditions if they are born into them.

Sorry this was so long, everyone -- I just like typing!
John

Good luck with the plantlet. My adelae went from my windowsill to my terrarium and not it has like 6 plants in one pot. They look great!

Hi,I'm new here and my question is how did plantakiss get her plant to have so much dew??? I mist mine alot

Back