What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket meal ( D. adelae )

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, it might be too big, but the D. adelae is enjoying a small cricket. I am hoping to take photos every hour to see how the tenticles react to the cricket.

D_adelae_Cricket1.jpg

Tenticles have already moved into contact with the cricket.

Here is what the plant and cricket look like 1 hour later:

D_adelae_Cricket2.jpg

After 2 hours ( It is still alive ):

D_adelae_Cricket3.jpg

Closer view:

D_adelae_CricketCloseup.jpg

Next morning, 8 hours later ( Cricket is dead ):

D_adelae_Cricket4.jpg

More tenticles have come into contact with the cricket. The tenticles on the tip of the leaf have surrounded the cricket's antennea.

The second morning (1/15/2003):

D_adelae_Cricket5.jpg

Even more tenticles have moved into contact with the cricket.

1/16/2003

D_adelae_Cricket6Day3.jpg

The cricket is not looking so good.

Becareful.....everytime my adelae catches something large, like a medium fly, the corpse will start rotting and the rot will spread to leaves. might be the high humidity kicking in.

Well, I wan't able to get the number of photographs that I wanted. Seems I wanted sleep more than taking the pictures.

Anyway, I will update the photos each morning until Friday.

Nick

P.S. I will watch out for rotting of the cricket. I have scissors standing by for emergency leaf removal.
tounge.gif

Yes, prey removal for this and the other Queensland Sisters (schizandra and prolifera) is strongly recommended. Nice photos Nick.

Back