What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How tall is my flower stalk going to get?

Now it's about 4.5" tall and out of the top of the terrarium I have it in. There is another one that is about 2" tall too. When do you think it will flower and what do I need to do when it does? Thanks! Bryan

I have had scapes reach over 8 inches in spatulata kansai. A possibility is to use a gentle weight or piece if wire to keep it inside the terrairum. It will still make seed if it is outside, but the chances are the flowers will not open. No action is needed for seed, this species self seeds, and also sows the seeds readily as the seed carpels are relfexed allowing the seed to escape with the slightest movement. Seed is produced even if the flowers do not unfurl, and this happens sequentially from the lowest bud to the highest. Each bud becomes erect when it is in the process of flowering and setting seed. About 3 weeks after the last bud flowers the seed will be ready to harvest. Put it in a paper envelope and lable it immediately and add the date of harvest.

So if I want the flower to open I have to keep it in the terrarium?

Unless you have very high humidity the flowers will not open. Sometimes even with high humidity they do not open. Seeds will set regardless.

The humidity in my terrarium is not too high. The terrarium is similar to the ones that petflytrap.com is selling. I would like to see some purdy flowers!
smile.gif

Back