What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My spath is back!

Some time ago a spath of mine flowered, and the plant went brown. I panicked, repotted it, and killed the flower stalk in the process.

Now I've got baby plants coming up from the roots. Lots of them!

Once again my incompetence is rewarded with a surfeit of riches. I'm not sure why I'm not ruler of the Earth by now.

steve

dont be surprised by this tactic,most of all of drosera species do this in order to reproduce.its a natural process..

Are you sure those baby plants aren't seedlings? Spatulata self sows with great ease: perhaps some of the seed pods had time to mature and sowed themselves.

Hey, some incompetence is not rewarded no matter how much nature wants to. I killed my first spath after finally realizing (too late of course) and posting on here about four thousand times that the bottome of my little terrarium which I had it directly potted in and sitting in some distilled water was rusting on the bottom. It slowly seeped up into the plant's roots and probably gave it tetanus if they can get it. Pretty originally **** up though. I'll give myself that. So Anyways I am living proof that you can kill these plants.
Oh, sorry what I meant to say was that that is really cool that your plant came back. I'll try that next time when I give them tetanus.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 27 2002,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you sure those baby plants aren't seedlings? Spatulata self sows with great ease: perhaps some of the seed pods had time to mature and sowed themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, it never got a chance to flower, I'm afraid. The plantlets are coming up from under the top dressing and out of the old base.

I've fed the little ones some dried worm dust (can't remember the name--that stuff for fish that comes in cubes) and they are growing pretty well.

Steve

Your talking about tubifex worms probably steveo.

Tamlin i have trouble getting my Spathulata to flower! Mine come up great them never do anything, probably because I don't have enough light or rommfor the stalks to fully unfurl.

Spatulata is usually an easy to flower plant, but as you mentioned, they need enough light to flower. Do you grow the plant under lights? A 2 bulb (40 watts each) shoplight should be enough to grow and flower the plant. In insufficient light the scapes will etiolate (stretch out) which is why the scapes are too long for the terrarium.

Back