What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They Day is approachign

Non of the flowrs have opened, on my rotundifolia, but one of them has started to shrivel and die. When do I cut the buds off to make seed? I can just cut off the whole flower stem tho, right?

If the flowers haven't opened you won't get seed. They might not have opened due to low humidity.

Tamlin said I can still get seed even if they dont open... The humidity was high, quite high.

I once read in a site a year ago that sometimes flowers don't open and they don't produce seed when this happens. Disregard my last post. I'm not a sundew expert, just sharing what I read.
smile.gif

Thats OK, you may be right... I dunno myself. So, when should I cut it off? Do you or anyone else know?

I usually go by eye: when all but the topmost buds (say 3) show brown at the base the seed will be ready for sure. There will be seed even if the flowers don't fully open, at least for rotundifolia and spatulata (also many others).

should you cut individual flowers or wait and cut the whole stalk?
thanks, Jack

Back