What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera neo-caledonica

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    drosera
Actually, I got that book from the library (VERY good), and on the cover there were numerouse shizandra... I think that it is different for different prints... Just so that noone gets confused....
smile.gif

Nathaniel,

According to the big name CP taxa people (Sundew Matt, Petiolaris Sean, Jan Schauler, etc.) it is related to the spathulata complex and not the petiolaris group. Also, I don't think this species is mentioned in 'Savage Garden' because I had to search the 'net for other growers to find out cultivation conditions.

NepG,

There really isn't a simple cut and dry answer as to why it is so hard. My guess is that it is like quite a few other CPs were the basics are easy to provide but there are one or two crutial but undefinable factors needed for it (think along the lines of 'Why is it so rare for U. tricolor to flower?' or 'Why does D. regia spontaniously die for no good reason?')

Pyro

the main problem with it is that this species like a high humidity and warm weather .
from my plants what I can also say they are very slow grower.
and last point when a plant is rare at collection most put it on the difficult plants list.
I'm not a drosera expert but it look to me more close to the petiolaris complex then spath. complex.
arie

Arie,

It dose indeed look similar to the petiolaris complex but on the genetic level it is truly related to the spaths and not the petios (I had this beaten into me by the great Jan who sent me what was essentially a dissertation pointing out my stupidity when I asked if it was petio related.)

Pyro

ok I said I'm not expert and when genetic level is on line I had no way to check it (maybe one day Tamlin would finish his project and we would had a complet answer)
anyway it a very nice Drosera when it start to grow
and better had few together in one pot as you can see at the photo I had post earlier.
I thought people would like it so I offer it for trade but seems like stangely it isn't so wanted.
arie

Arie,

I hope you don't think I was trying to belittle you, I am in no way an expert either. I was just passing on what I happened to know (thanks to my lecture from Jan.)

As for people not wanting your plants, maybe they are intimidated by its reputation, maybe they are worried about shipping from Israel, maybe they don't have anything to offer back. I am sure it is nothing against you
smile.gif

pyro
I sureyou aren't belittle me it's ok I'm happy learner from anyone that can and willing too help.
I also don't mind keeping them with me that was a remark after I saw some were looking for it.
I only can add there is no problem in plants shipment and most of the time they arrive in great shape.
sure it's nothing against me personly.
arie

Hi,

propably I grow my plants way to cold...
They look a bit better because it is getting hotter here now...

One good thing about it is, that it is easy to prpagate via leaf cuttings, so I have some plants to experiment.
But almost all experiments (greenhouse, together with nepenthes, ...) failed.

I have some flowering plnats but have only very rarely seen an open flower :-( (I can't even remeber)

Martin

Neocaledonica is very closely related to spatulata (not spatHulata!), and are not part of the petiolaris complex. They appreciate warmth, high humidity and bright light but should not be treated like a petiolaris, temps. above 80F are not good. Incidentaly the plants can get quite large when grown well, forming a stem. This is not a beginners plant. I am still trying to find the right set of conditions. I have mine just moist, and probably will try a wetter substrate as I do not have good success with this species. Arie, the cutting you sent is doing better than the larger rooted specimens I received, and I believe this species dislikes transplant. Phill Mann grows his in highland Nepenthes conditions with good success.

Martin,
I am looking for 2 or 3 seeds to scan for my reference in case your's produce them. Please keep me in mind if this happens? Thanks!

How'd Phill Mann come into this dissucion? I am lost there! :confused:

We are discussing how to grow the plant well. Phill grows this plant with some success, so his name and methods were mentioned as a sort of "Here is how someone has had success growing this plant." I guess Tamlin could have said "I know someone who..." but I don't see any harm in posting Phill's name.

Oh, and Tamlin, sorry about the 'H' in spatulata, I have been thinking of N. spathulata a lot these past few days and I guess I just carried it over
smile.gif

I don't mean anyhitng like that Pyro I mean how he got inot this discussion. Now that I reread Tamlin's post it says he GROWS Neo-Caledonica with his Highlnad Neps. OK got it now.

hi pyro,
i never said this plant was closely related to spatulata or petiolaris, though i'm not saying it isn't. i just dont know enough about that to come to that conclusion - and i usually try to keep my mouth closed rather than spread misinformation. my plants of neocaledonica are small, slow growers, so far. but at least they arent dying like they did last time i tried them. i hear there are more vigorous clones out there and should have some seed of another sometime soon. (please dont ask if i have spares cause it wont be a long time before i do, at this rate).

Matt

I was just going off what I remembered, I must have contacted about 15 people about this plant so I probably just got mixed up. Sorry.

EDIT:

I was partially correct. The hard copy I made of that message reads: "...I think it is actually closer to spatulata."

(Edited by Pyro at 10
wow.gif
9 pm on May 23, 2002)

Back