What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera x "california sunset"

after ordering a cali, I looked them up in the savage garden and it says, (I've read that book several times, lol.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
This is a beautiful hybrid between the two subspecies produced by Joe Mazrimas and published in 1981. Vigorous and clump forming, it resembles both ssp. tracyi whith reddish glands and ssp. filiformiss "Florda giant." Since Drosera x 'California Sunset' is a cultivar, it should only be reproduced through leaf cuttings and the seed should be destroyed.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

why destroy cultivar seeds?
confused.gif
would you get mutants ?

My impression is that it is like seeds of many venus flytrap varieties - they almost never end up the same as the cultivar, with mostly typical plants coming from them. I'm not sure exactly why you'd want to destroy them though - but I think they should at least have a disclaimer, saying they won't produce the cultivar, and may or may not produce plants similar to it.

D. filiformis x 'California Sunset' is a hybrid which has been selected for it's exceptional vigor and beauty. It is an F1 hybrid, the result of crossing ssp. filiformis 'Florida Giant' with ssp. tracyi. If you allow it to self-fertilize, the resultant offspring (F2 hybrids) will not be true to the parent plant, they might closely resemble it, but are unlikely to match it for good looks.

It is wrong to pass off F2 hybrids as the original cultivar, as well as introucing mis-named, inferior plants into cultivation, causing confusion, it is very disrepectful to the original plant breeder and all the effort they have put into hybridizing, selecting and vegetatively cultivating a plant, hence the name 'cultivar' . This goes for all plants, not just CP's. If you do produce F2 hybrids, hey they're your plants to do what you want with after all, make sure any plants you distribute are clearly labelled as F2 hybrids and not as the original cultivar. There are already far to many dubious versions of plant cultivars out in CP land as it is! For example, I've seen loads of D. binata 'Marston Dragons' in collections over here in the UK that are clearly not the true cultivar, and are all almost certainly the result of seed produced by selfing the genuine plant somewhere along the line. I think I've the real McCoy, it came from Marston's. There's nothing wrong with producing F2 hybrids if you want, as long as you don't think they are or tell others they are the parent hybrid.

Cheers
Vic

Well said Vic! BTW, I would love to see a photo of that Marston's Dragon somewhere down the road if you are able. Feel free to email it to me if you have it on your HD.

Sorry Tamlin - no digital camera. I'll have to take an old-fashioned photograph and scan it. It's in a state of semi - dormancy at the moment, all the leaves are starting to brown and die back, it's pretty sad looking as it gets ready to sleep for the winter. You'll probably have to wait a few month's, but I will try to get it done next Spring. I'll put it on my things to do for other CP folks-list.

Cheers

Vic

I didn't think that Drosera x California Sunset was fertile, my plants certainly don't produce any seed. Drosera hybrids tend to be sterile in my experience.
Vic, did you see my Drosera x Marston Dragon hanging just inside the door of my greenhouse when you were here for my open day? Did it look like your plant?

Steve

I can't remember your 'Marston Dragon', but I'll have a look next June.

Cheers
Vic

Back