What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cape sundews

Hi,

My cape sundews are flowering right now and some of the white flowers are done blooming the plant looks ready to seed.

Heres the prob inside my 20 gal tank I have no room for baby sundews dose any one here have an idea of how I can get the seeds and plant them in my other tank I am starting ??

I was thinking of wraping something around the flower but what ?I dont have and room to put a sheet of paper under it my tanks pretty packed.

Allso can someone tell me are the seeds any good ? I dont have bees in my tank so im not sure.

Thanks

smile.gif

_-West-_

Capes self-pollenate as the flower closes, so yes the seed should be fine. I dont really know about your other question, can you maybe take it to another area while it sets seed?
confused.gif

Cole

thanks for the reply Colieo .
biggrin.gif
looks like the seeds will be good after all
biggrin.gif

Now I just have to fig out how to get them. The plants are growing in the tank without a pot so there rooted well. Cant move them
wink.gif

_-West-_

When the seed pods are brown and the seed is ripe, simply cut off the flowering stem at it's base and take it out of the tank. Gently tap it over a sheet of white paper and collect the seeds on there. They can then be planted where you like or stored dry in a airtight container in the refridgerator (Do Not Freeze) where they will remain viable for months, if not years.

If your D. capensis flower stems are like mine, you will probably find that seed is ripe on the lower, older flowers, before all the upper flowers have finished flowering, so it's up to you when you remove it. I would be inclined to do this early rather than later, so that the plants don't seed themselves all over your tank

Cheers

Vic

If anyone has a replica of a mongolian horde of cape sundew variety's I'm availbe since mine are all dead.

Don't cape sundews - D.capensis - have pink flowers?

Andrew

Thanks for all the replys and tips all.

Vagabond- The cape sundews that are 100% green with no red on them at all make white flowers.

Hi!

And those sundews are called: D. capensis 'alba' ? ? ?

Greets,

Marco

Hmm, I had some seed grown capensis that most were red but some were all white except for the flowers which were typical, if maybe a tad darker then the type form.

They're very easy to flower and to seed, I'm sure you'll get more capensis then you'll ever need. I resorted to planting some outside in the bog garden, and they're still alive 2 yrs later!

Andrew

According to the ICPS, the white flowered D. capensis has a cultivar name: it has been registered as Drosera capensis 'albino' with the ICPS Registration Authority, therefore reference to 'alba' is incorrect according to the Rules of Botanical Nomenclature.

D. capensis are self fertile aren't they? The flowers pliinate themselves when they close up after flowering, so I'm sure you will have viable seed even if there were no pollinators around. I just seperated out some binata and capensis seed today, you get a lot of seed for very little effort.

Andrew

there are 2 ways of getting seed of d.capenis 1 you get a but beetween your thum and index finger and tap it and lil black things should come out or the way to get the most of is open a bud and their should be a circuler green thing open that and you should get seed and you also don't need to straterfie the seed and you should try germanating a fiew on a window sill with 3 hrs derect light i tryed it and it worked!!!! twice

Just a slight correction, the white flowered D. capensis is registered as D. capensis 'Albino' with the capital "A". Jan (the maintainer of the database) is very particular on spelling and capitalization.

I am not alone in finding the name 'Albino' inappropriate for the white-flowered form of D. capensis. The term albino, suggests a complete lack of pigmentation, these plants, whilst much paler than the typical form, do have pink pigmentation on their tentacles, and as such are not true albinos. For this reason, I prefer to use the term 'var. Alba', which is in very common usage on both sides of the Atlantic, instead of the 'correct' (sic), accepted name.

Cheers

Vic

Hey I got  pictures with my new dig cam I just got you can see the white flower cape sundews in them. By the way thanks for all the replays
smile.gif

dsc_038.jpg
dsc_009.jpg

What do you people think do my plants look ok ?
dsc_018.jpg

dsc_051.jpg

Cool! what size of terrarium is it?

and I know this has nothing to do with dews, but what kind of pings are in there? ...just curious...

I hate to tell you this but I think by the time all your flowers ripen, you'll have hundreds of little capensis seeds all over your tank. That's why most growers consider them a weed. Personaly I like capensis and I have them growing everywhere but I can tell by looking at your tanks that you like to your plants in order. Maybe you can let the seedlings grow a little then pick them out and trasplant them. I've done that many times. Good luck.
Your setup looks really nice but I have one question. How do you let your plants go dormant when you have them planted together with plants that don't need a dormancy?

Its a 20 gal fish tank. The pings I have in there are agnata and agnata x gypsicola.

The pink one I have right under the bright lights to get it that nice pink look. I keep the tank indoors most of the time .Im useing 265 watts of lights I have on it now.So far the plants seem to love it. I mist down the VFTS and pings every day.

I would not mind having babe cape sundews in there and then taking them out later.In fact iv put the red cape sunder seed in the tank and have some babe ones coming up now . I am going to take them out when they get older.One reason why I got the cape sundew is because I found out it grows like a weed.
biggrin.gif

About the dormancy thing .Next winter Im going to have to take the VFTS out really careful and pop them into the frig bare root.I know I may lose them but I hope by being careful not to break the roots they will be ok.

dsc_094.jpg
dsc_089.jpg
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

VFT's are not so delicate as to have much of a problem with your proposed dormancy regimen. Just ask anyone who has grown them for a while.

Back