What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf question

Hey all,

I'm in NYC and have a sundew...Since the humidity level's been kinda low in my studio and it's starting to get colder, the dew's not as high/ potent, and I noticed that some of the older leaves are turning brown. How should I trim these? By simply cutting off the brown parts? Ripping the whole leaf off? Also, any suggestions as to dormancy? I'm not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or what. Thanks.

In other news, I took part of a leaf with flower heads and put it in soil...Kept it there for quite a while, a few months. Yesterday, I was doing an overall check on my plants and noticed that there's some new growth of baby sundews!

Congrats on the successful leaf cutting!

Ok, when the leaf turns totally brown all the way to the base, you can cut it off if you want. Personally, I don't take the time or trouble to get out a pair of scissors and do the job, because it is not really necessary.

Dormancy is a tough issue. It really depends on what kind of dew you have. Some don't need it and others do. Could you post the type or if you don't know that, a picture or two for identification?

SF

Hi again,

My sundew is a Drosera spatulata. The leaf tips at the bottom are browning, but there's still new leaves growing from the middle/base, and there are tall stems sprouting out. I can try to get a picture.

This is typical performance for D. spatulata. I would simply repot the plant into a mew medium, and use the opportunity to get at the rosette from underneath. Brown leaves are easily removed with a gentle tug, then repot the cleaned up plant, not too difficult a process really.

Back