What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get sundew leaves to root!

I just got a nice D. Adealae (prbly not spelled correctly) to sprout little plantlets and they're doing well but I see no roots (the're in water so I can see em) and the first leaf I took out of the water died in a day. How can I get them some roots?
confused.gif

Just a guess.

Try placing them on wet milled sphag under a dome or something to keep the humidity super high.

Pyro

Speaking of milled spaghnum, where can I get some?
confused.gif

Milled sphagnum is pretty tough to find for me. The only place that I know of where I live is California Carnivores. You can get LF sphagnum and crumble it up and it's the same thing. But I have yet to find LF sphagnum in stores around me too, hopefully you will have better luck.

BTW, when you planted them, how did you care for them? Make sure the humidity is kept high, like Pyro said.

My rotundifolias are easy to make leaf cuttings of... What I do is take a leaf, cut off the petiole, and stick it tentacle side up in a pot hole in a mess of LFS... A buncy of plantlets will pop up, and the leaf will make a little white root too...

I think you should starrt cuttings of adleae in milled shagnum or long fibered sphagnum. Keep humid and lightly lite until plantlets pop out. Wait and in a month roots wil form. i find water rooting very unrealiable for most drosera. Actaully, i dont really want to take adelae cuttings, too many palnts pop out from roots ne ways!
smile.gif

Well, I've got the leaf in water now and it has had a bunch of plantlets pop up. I suppose I'll just add a bunch of spaghnum to the water and get it to root. BTW: I don't have any D. Adelae so that's why I'm rooting them.

Back