What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that is one CP I don't want! A CP that can't even be fed insects when it was meant to!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
Do they rot in natural sites? And if it started to rot why not just clip the rotted part of the leave off???

I agree with Martin, never feed this plant insects! The remains of the insects become infected by fungus which in turn infect the plant: it is very tender. In habitat conditions are optimal, with all the proper conditions obviously in place as regards air circulation and humidity. In terraria, things are very different: the high humidity encourages the germination of fungus spores, just like a petrie dish! Good air circulation is optimal, as Martin mentions, but be careful not to let the humidity drop too low. Most growers I have polled on this issue stress the importance of humidity as being the most critical factor, and many recommend lower light levels to promote optimal growth. I have just recently begun cultivation of this species for the first time, and I am only an egg in this matter. In all cases, give the plant a lot of observation. If things are not just right, it will soon go to the big bog in the sky. The reason I favor live moss is for the aniseptic qualities inherent in it. The moss can always be "pruned" to keep it from overgrowing the plant, and the adelae I grow thrive in it, as does prolifera, and these are all closely related species. As the moss grows upwards, it allows the plant to form roots along its stem, as it too grows upwards, and the capillary action keeps moisture around the plants leaves. Remember, you have to baby this one, don't just forget about it for even a week.
Personally I take no delight in feeding the plants live prey. They seldom require it, and it often creates more problems than it solves. Most Drosera I grow outdoors in the summer, and they do their natural capturing of prey without any additional assist from me. Schizandra is not one that will grow outside however, and I plan on using Superthrive when mine becomes large enough to need fertilization, via a light foliar feed.

NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ever leave or folair fertilize the 3 sisters from Australia!!!!!!!!! It say in D'Amato's book. The fertiliazer will burn the leaves badly. But Superthrive is fine. Also I see why now that insects aren't a good idea. But still it is a non-exciting CP if you can't insect feed it I think. But it would be in my collection certainly as it is rare!

Hi,
In nature Dr. schizandra also feeds on pollen.

Not everything what Peter D'Amato writes must be true everywhere !
I don't fertilize any of my Drosera, because Drosera doesn't need any fertilizing for growing well (and usually they catch enough insects on their own)
But I sometimes spray diluted Tillandsia fertilizer  on the leafes of my Nepenthes and Heliamphora. And the Drosera schizandra growing on the bottom of the terrarium will "accidently" also get a small amount of the fertilizer !
I<b<t</b> didn't die till now :)
(ups... I forgot the "t")

Martin

(Edited by Martin at 4:57 pm on Feb. 9, 2002)

Well Martin it is out of my own expirence too. I have fertilized Adelae and it just burns the leaves BADLY!!!!!!! So that was just a share in my own expierence.

Drosera don't need fertilizer or even prey unless they are really thriving. I wouldn't recommend anyone fertilize thir plants unless they are very experienced, and then only with VERY small amounts of a mild fertilizer like those used on epiphites, at approx 1/5 or less the recommended strength, followed after 24 hrs. by a complete leaf rinse. I have had some success with this, but use it seldom as my plants do their thing naturally. My schizandra is so small it will be years before this need arises, but terrarium culture does exhaust the plants more quickly. IAlso BTW with 100% humidity in a closed system, the available CO2 is quickly taken up by the plants, so careful, periodic ventilation is in order. Martin, sorry to hear about your plant - maybe someday I can help you out:) Right now my whole plant is about the size of a prolifera leaf.
You are right about D'Amato too: nothing is the same everywhere, and generalizations are just that, no matter who gives the advice. Still, it is good to share experiences, especially the mistakes! How else do you learn?

I have found the most effective 'fertilizer' to be dried insects from pet stores. They are 100% natural and do not burn the leaves of CPs.

Hi Tamlin,

hu, I forgot a "t" in my post :
IT (=the plant) didn't die after fertilizing !
I also didn't die, of course :-)))))

Hmmmm, English is a tricky language, never forget only a single letter :)

So what I wanted to say : My Drosera schizandra has no problems with getting some diluted Tillandsia fertilizer which I spray over my Nepenthes.

Nepenthes and Heliamphora are the only plants which I fertilize, because they don't get insects in the terrarium.

Some years ago I tried fertilizing some Dionaea and Sarracenia and they have grown "bigger" and faster, but they didn't look as robust as the non-firtilized plants.

I prefer compact and healthy "hard-grown" plants...
The size doesn't really matter :)

I have heard about successful experiments with adding a bit of vermiculite to the media of petiolaris-complex-Drosera and Sarracenia.

As a general rule I don't know any carnivorous plant which NEED fertilizer or food for healthy growing (except Aldrovanda)
But there are some species which grow bigger (healthier ?) if you fertilize them.

But you should only fertilize healthy plants and never try to save a weak plant by fertilizing it !

hmmm, Drosera schizandra again :
I wouldn't recommend dried insects for Drosera schizandra. The digestion-juices of this spezies are very weak and in stagnant air and high humidity (the conditions most people grow them) the dried insekt will ssoon start rotting.
And than the leaf and than the plant....

And Tamlin, thanks for the offer, but it's not necessary :)

Martin

Hi Martin,
What if there are fungus gnats in the terrarium? Would the plant die if it caught one? I do not grow D.schizandra, but I am curious about this plant:)

Hi,

If the plant can catch the prey for itself (and the tentacles are really weak) and you have some air movement than this should be no problem.
My plants survived fruit flies.

It is not as difficult as it seems but you shouldn't feed it big dead insects the plant could never get for itself.

The plant is so easy to propagate via leaf cuttings that it should be more aviable in some years.
I couldn't find one for a long time and now it is even offered at ebay (here in Germany)

Martin

sounds like you guys have your work cut out for ya...

I'll stick to Nepenthes... compared to these fragile little guys, they are tanks! (And need to be with me!)

Back