What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby on a flower

Hey, my spath has a baby growing off the flower. My question is do I need to cut the flower and try to lay it on the soil so it will grow or is it lost. Will it just fall of the flower when the flower starts to die. I'm gonna try to get a picture of it. It is the tiniest thing I've ever seen. If I hadn't been looking at it with a magnifying lamp I would've never known. Thanks, Shauntell

I would just let it grow.

When it gets larger, it will fall over....just have some oil ready.

They seem to grow really fast on the flower scape ( or spike )

I would cut it only when the scape turns brown

VFT's flower stalk will bend over to the ground and kinda plant the baby so that it starts to root before the stem dies.
if it will bend over some without breaking it might be a good idea to put some planting medium under it. I dunno, my sundew doesn't do that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jaie @ Sep. 25 2002,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would just let it grow.

When it gets larger, it will fall over....just have some oil ready.

They seem to grow really fast on the flower scape ( or spike )

I would cut it only when the scape turns brown[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oil? Whats that for?

Thank you. I've read about a lot of people getting them on their plants and then when it happened to me I was at a lost. Why does this happen? And yeah, what do you mean by oil.

Some dendrobium orchids will do this whenever they get overwatered before flowering. I would guess it is somehow genetic, with some kind of a trigger, though I don't know what triggers it in sundews. I really doubt it would be overwatering though. It might be something that could use a little bit of study, it would certainly be interesting to know.

I would guess the oil comment was a joke - baby oil?
Or I may be a bit confused on that as well.

i know that in phalanopsis orchids if the plant is really old it produces those offshoots, could be the same in sundews. Is it a very old plant?

cheers,

Joel

I have no idea. I got it from Home Depot which means gublers. I know that it is full grown and it flowers constantly. Other than that.... How do you tell how old a plant is. If it's from gublers I don't think they would keep their plants around too long before jsut getting thme out on the market. It was flowering when Ibought it though..... Thanks to everyone.

I am very interested in hearing more of this plantlette that formed on the scape of your Drosera spatulata. Is it a complete rosetted plant, with petioles visable, or is it just the trap parts sticking out from between the buds?

Thanks!

Tamlin

I heard the same thing can happen to venus flytraps

Theres a pic of it in carnivorous plants of the united states and canada vol.2 I wonder if I can post the pic?

The plantlette only has three leaves and like jaie said is growing extremely fast. It's odd though because with my other babies the leaves were very tiny at this stage but these leaves are huge and much fatter then the other babies leaves. They seem to be almost completely round. It could be that it is healthier then the other plantlettes because of change in conditions since they started growing but it still seems to me that they are abnormally large. I'm gonna try real hard to get a pic soon. Maybe take one tonight on regular film and send it in to an internet sight that will post it. Has anyone else had experience wiht abnormally large leaves on plantlettes on flower scapes? Shauntell

Back